Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Rack

Ok first off all dont get too excited i dont have any pics yet . but i will have some sometime tomorrow so check back. As for what exactly i did; made a roof rack...4'x3' and 6" high. Let me tell you...its kinda tought without a chop saw, i used a sawzall heh heh Even though my cuts werent very straight i think it turned out decent for a first time fab project. I was thinking U bolts to attach it to the factory roof racks. Also what should i use to paint it black with? Rustoleum or something?

Check back tomorrow for pics...
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

wow!! can't wait to see this bad boy
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

oh boy dont get too excited...
      B R E T T

Comment

There is two pictures...As you can see it has no bottom any ideas for that? I saw some sort of steel mesh(best way i can describe it) any one else have an idea for what to put as the flooring?
        B R E T T

Comment

Looks Good! The mesh junk is your best bet. I believe its call expanded steel.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

That's it, expanded metal. It can be expensive. Add some cross supports.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Ok i added some cross supports now as soon as i get this pics uploaded ill put em on here...
              B R E T T

Comment

Ok there we go, tmorrow im going to paint it with black semi-gloss rustoleum and i need to get some end caps. As for now im just going to mount it to the pre existing roof rack with some U bolts. Hopefully by tomorrow i will have it all done and on the jeep.

I need to get into a business of sellin these things.

Oh yea also all in all it cost me about 120 bucks that was a little more than someone else makin their own could by with. I bought all my metal at osh because i couldnt get anyone to take me to a metal place. But even at around 120 i still got out way less than buying a safari style rack!
                B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                  [Oh yea also all in all it cost me about 120 bucks that was a little more than someone else makin their own could by with.
                  I'd do some shopping around next time.
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

try krylon semi-flat black. it's about the same finish as black powder coat. I use it to touch up my bumpers and rockers, works great.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

lol i know i shoulda...i dont have my lisence so i gotta bum rides and its not that easy. plus since i didnt have anything else to do to my jeep and osh was sooo close i just couldnt bring myself to wait and go to a steel place. such a lack of dicipline

oh yea i should also add the materials:
                      30'-1"x1" square tubing cut into 4 4ft sections, 4 3ft sections and 4 6inch sections
                      8'-1/2"x1/2" square tubing cut into 4ft pieces
                      5-4'x2" 1/8 flat stuff
                      4-2"x"2 U bolts to mount(if you want to use your factory roof racks)
                      1 rattle can of semi gloss rustoleum
                      My machine is an old Lincoln AC-225 stick welder and i used it at 75 amps
                      (i think i coulda gotten away with all this by only spending about 50-60 bucks)

Look at my pictures and it should all be self-explainitory

Good Luck if you embark on one of these things by yourself!!
                      B R E T T

Comment

There are the two final pics of it all painted and mounted. The first picture is how i mounted it with U bolts to the factory roof racks. An the second is it lookin pretty on my roof!
                        B R E T T

Comment

Allright! Time to hit the trail! It rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                            Allright! Time to hit the trail! It rocks.
                            almost time...need my BB, rock rails and my nifty diff guard! dang ups man keeps drivin by my house just to tease me
                            B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                              dang ups man keeps drivin by my house just to tease me
                              i hate when they do that, it's like they know! you gonna be ready for big bear?

Comment

Working...
                              X