Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very time consuming build - Cherokee KOH Stock Class

Well We have made some progress on a Stock Class King of The Hammers XJ we are building.

It started out to be fun, Yeah we can do that, type mentality.

Ending up now, with a aww we can bet em all. lol..

Started with a 92 super clean and straight Cherokee.

We have some great sponsors that have made this possible.
    Yukon Gear & Axle
    Rock Krawler
    Goodyear Tires
    Superwinch
    Currie Enterprices
    Barnett performance
    Raceline Wheels
    Hotwire Auto
    K&N filters
    RAD Shifters
    Hi-Tech Collision
    Ruffstuff
    C-Rok
    and I am sure I am missing a few others....

I will try to update progress pictures as I can.

But we started with this

Then removed this

Did this

Ended up with this

1631lbs soon to be 4000lbs we are guessing, but will now sometime soon I hope.

Put it up on the table

Then got to work on the cage

Once we got everything near the roof welded up, we raised the cage and put plates ranging in 6"x6"x3/16" up to about 10"x10"x3/16 all spanning the reinforced unibody rails and tieing to the rails.

we got the stroker engine and started to get it in a few weeks ago

it made its home in the Jeep nicely.

And last week we pulled it off the table and started on the axles and suspension.

14bolt with a heavy shave and Yukon Spool, 4340 axles, 5.38 gears, 1350 yoke. Hung on Full Traction 4.5-5" springs and 1.5" boomerang Rock Krawler shackles, and 1" TNT ubolt eliminators.

The front is a bit more of a challange... Currie Rockjock D60 set to 66" wide, and full 1ton outers. Yukon Grizzly locker, 5.38 gears, Yukon chromoly axles and superjoints, spindles and hubs, & hardcore yukon flanges. The steering was a bit tricky, with a 12" Rock Krawler 2.625" shock we had to mount shocks as low on the tube as possible, then cycle up and set everything up for full bump. It finially all worked out. But 6 hours to fab steering and track bar was a setback. We ended up not being able to use the high steer arms for the tierod, only draglink. Overall though, we are very happy how the track bar, and steering all turned out. Rock Krawler supplied us with thier 3 link alum long arm kit for the front.

A few pictures, the one is before cutting out the stock shock mounts and doing lower turned ones.

Thats about it for now.

Next is to get the cage finished up and mount the pass seat, cell, trans cooler, and tire carrier.

I will update as we can.

Hope to finish the race with what we are building, and can see a podium finish if luck has any help for us or not for others at least.
    Last edited by ROBERTK; 10-05-11, 11:15 AM.
    *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Looking good Robert. Making a purse out of a pigs ear there...
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

So, have you read the actual rules for the class you plan to race in?

Build looks good...

Comment

Originally posted by desertPOS View Post
        So, have you read the actual rules for the class you plan to race in?

Build looks good...
        Rules? There are "actual" rules for this?

Comment

damm! hard to believe that is considered stock class lol. Nice build though.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
            Rules? There are "actual" rules for this?
            First rule under stock class is that it has to be a factory 4x4 production vehicle - converting a 2wd to 4wd does not meet that requirement (section 6.3.1.1). Rules can be found at www.ultra4racing.com - click on the 'racers' tab.

Just thought it'd be good to note if you're planning on racing. Probably would be a good idea to read the rest of the rules there as well...

Comment

Originally posted by desertPOS View Post
              First rule under stock class is that it has to be a factory 4x4 production vehicle - converting a 2wd to 4wd does not meet that requirement (section 6.3.1.1). Rules can be found at www.ultra4racing.com - click on the 'racers' tab.

Just thought it'd be good to note if you're planning on racing. Probably would be a good idea to read the rest of the rules there as well...
              Well it is a production 4x4.

And believe me, I can virtually recite the stock class rules to the t as well have played a meaningful part in changing one for the better.
              But thank u for ur concern. Its the teams that can take every rule a push it to the limits and use those that are not defined that will build the most capable. But we all (should) know that the rig is only a small part of the finishing order.

And w dave announcing that we have a full season now available. This is awesome.

Comment

Looks like you edited your post this morning to remove the part where it said it used to be 2wd? I could care less either way...

Comment

At the end of the day the vin will be the only difference between this and a production equipped 4wd. So, I know where to find some Vin plates for you Robert.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                    At the end of the day the vin will be the only difference between this and a production equipped 4wd. So, I know where to find some Vin plates for you Robert.
                    Just so you know swapping vins is illegal and I believe a felony. Not to mention there are still hidden under body vins on the chassis that specially trained cops can find. Who fricken cares if it a 2 wheel drive, jeep made the same model in 4wd anyhow. IMO stock class should be with the axles it came with not 1 tons lol. But I dont know the rules.

Comment

What bump stops are you using? I thought you could only have 2"?

Looks great!
                      http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Well u get last 2" of travel. The bumps only go up 2" max in the internal configuration I have em at.

And as a side note... not one vin left on entire rig. Don't need one either.

Comment

Sweet. Isn't the "stock" class limited to the factory motor and suspension style? You have to run a 4.0 (but can't it be stroked?) and coils front, leaf springs rear?
                          -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by mJUSTINm View Post
                            Sweet. Isn't the "stock" class limited to the factory motor and suspension style? You have to run a 4.0 (but can't it be stroked?) and coils front, leaf springs rear?
                            Stock engine-block must be retained, as originally manufactured (boring, stroking and other internal engine modifications are all permitted).

Comment

lookin good Robert, cant wait for KOH this year,,,,,Good luck//////

Comment

Working...
                              X