Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost for metal?

Does anyone know roughly what 60' of 1"x1" square tubing would cost me? And since im new to this metal work what kinda place would have something like this? Ive looked in the phonebook but im not sure what kinda place would have it, and i havent gotten around to calling. Thanks.

In case your wondering im gonna make a roof rack.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

OH yea, does that seem like way too much metal? what about the thickness, is 1x1 a good size?
    B R E T T

Comment

60 feet is alot of metal. depending on the size of the rack, you can probably get away withth 20 feet or so. I'm not sure how much it would cost, call a steel supply place in or around your area. 0.93 wall is probably fine, .120 would be more then enough. Have Fun!!
      -Chris
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

will probably cost you around $20 a stick ( 20 ' length ) you never know when the prices are going up now though .

Comment

I pay a little less than a dollar a foot for that here in the central valley. 60' is probably too much steel but you can always use the excess for something else.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

You can never have too much steel!
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I changed my design around a bit, made it smaller and came up with 26 feet, i think im gonna use 3/4"x3/4" square tube. What about thickness?? .120 seems to be popular with bumpers so im assuming that would be more than enough for a roof rack?
              B R E T T

Comment

I would go a little thinner for a roof rack but what are you gonna put up there??? spare tire ect.??? hi-lift
                75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Yea, i have no clue what thickness. What would you reccemned. Im not sure about the spare tire. im makin the rack 3'x4' and i plan on putting a hi lift shovel and that sort of thing, the hi lift and shovel i want to mount to the sides so i top is left open for whatever. So what would you recommend for thickness? and 3/4x3/4 a good size?
                  B R E T T

Comment

What are some good ways to attach a hi lift and shovel and that sort a thing onto the sides? anyone know how, or have pics of a good bracket that i can make?
                    B R E T T

Comment

now i am aware that this picture isnt that great after all the camera cost me about 30 bucks at target, the idea is that you look at the weld. This is just so you can get an idea how great a welder i am. the machine of choice was a lincoln electric AC-225 arc welder. Ill try to borrow a better digital camera and get some nice clear pics but untill then oogle at this.

Any one who uses this machine; could they point me towards a website or their own knowledge about what amp setting for what thickness metal?
                      B R E T T

Comment

Put the piece in a chopsaw and cut it in half and see how complete your welds are. Look for penetration and for voids/slag inclusions.
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                          Put the piece in a chopsaw and cut it in half and see how complete your welds are. Look for penetration and for voids/slag inclusions.
                          Sounds like a good idea...will do.
                          B R E T T

Comment

How does a conduit roof rack sound? The stuff is pretty cheap...
                            B R E T T

Comment

Galvanized conduit would be cool... less rust to worry about, but I wouldn't want to be the person welding it together...
                              1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                              My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                              X