Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank

Anybody hear anything bad about RCI fuel cells? Like spliting or cracking. They have a couple I could mount half in the bed and half under the bed. Then put a box around it in the bed to seal it from the cab.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-21-11, 06:15 PM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

I have one in my Chevy. (Racers Choice Inc.) Do not use any of the L bracket tabs on the sides of the cell they are prone to break. This led to flexing and the aluminum baffle inside the tank breaking off to bang around inside. I fixed it and remounted the tank with straps. That took care of the problems. Also keep the fuel ABOVE the foam baffle inserts or the foam will deteriorate and do bad things if left for extended periods of time. I had to send mine back to Texas... they replaced under warranty. Now that it is strap mounted and I always keep the fuel up, no problems for many years.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thinking of doing a stretch curtis?

Comment

What ya think Beau, Curtis is coming over to the darkside. There are some guys that make some really fancy fuel cell brackets, so that you do not use the welded on tabs that will flex and crack the fuel cell

Comment

Curtis, check with Mike. He has a buddy that makes custom tanks and has done several Jeeps.
          Check out .

Comment

Seen a great deal on tanks made like genrights a while ago but cant remember who did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              Thinking of doing a stretch curtis?
              Yea Art,Fred, Andrew, Kurt, and Chuck are a bad influence on me. So going to stretch it, then biger tires and axles.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                Yea Art,Fred, Andrew, Kurt, and Chuck are a bad influence on me. So going to stretch it, then biger tires and axles.
                It sucks to be the little kid on the block doesn't it, those big boy toys are just so much fun

Comment

My future plans also but not enough funds available right now. I looked for that tank maker for you on pirate but no luck. There was a rci fuel cell install behind the rear seat, if you want it I will look in my history.

Comment

Thanks Beau for looking . I want to put it just in front of the rear bumper,but half of it sticking up into the bed. I don't want it below the frame rails. the skid will be just a piece of aluminum on the bottom of the frame.

Comment

This guy make whatever you want. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=fuel+tank. I seen a thread for an rci tank that can be done for about $250 complete, it sits right behind the back seat though. With the genright ext tank and a dana 60 you can only get about 4"s stretch before it hits not to mention $900 for a tank and skid is alot of coin.
                      Last edited by Jeeperator; 06-22-11, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                        This guy make whatever you want. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=fuel+tank. I seen a thread for an rci tank that can be done for about $250 complete, it sits right behind the back seat though. With the genright ext tank and a dana 60 you can only get about 4"s stretch before it hits not to mention $900 for a tank and skid is alot of coin.
                        I want 6" in the rear so I don't think the tank can be below the frame rails by much. I think this might work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2172A/

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                          I want 6" in the rear so I don't think the tank can be below the frame rails by much. I think this might work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2172A/
                          The trick would be to find a fuel cell that takes the stock fuel pump assembly, a 7" high tank looks great on paper but the fuel pump assembly is over 12" tall

Comment

Guess I need to see how much I can modify a stock one to fit. Then Find a tank to match.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              The trick would be to find a fuel cell that takes the stock fuel pump assembly, a 7" high tank looks great on paper but the fuel pump assembly is over 12" tall
                              Come on Art. I’m surprised at you. You can easily run an external fuel pump. That’s what I did. Makes for an easy trail repair.
                              Check out .

Comment

Working...
                              X