Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
    Just remember that Ballistic recommends a torque on their joints to 30 ft/lbs then tighten one more notch on the spanner nut.
    Thanks, for some reason I was thinking 20 ft/lbs. Hey how did you get the races into the joint? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to press them in using a ball joint and a vice.

This is how I have in mind to assemble them (in order): thick retainer washer, thin shim washer, race, balljoint, race, shim, retainer nut screw.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
      Thanks, for some reason I was thinking 20 ft/lbs. Hey how did you get the races into the joint? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to press them in using a ball joint and a vice.

This is how I have in mind to assemble them (in order): thick retainer washer, thin shim washer, race, balljoint, race, shim, retainer nut screw.
      Mine went in very easy. Some slid right in and on a couple I used a socket large enough to fit around the balljoint and lightly tapped it with a rubber mallet.

Might want to check your zert fittings too. Once installed some were hard to get to. I changed them out for ones that are at a 90 degree angle so I could grease them with out removing the link.
      Check out .

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
        Mine went in very easy. Some slid right in and on a couple I used a socket large enough to fit around the balljoint and lightly tapped it with a rubber mallet.

Might want to check your zert fittings too. Once installed some were hard to get to. I changed them out for ones that are at a 90 degree angle so I could grease them with out removing the link.
        I tried a couple of different races and they were both tight. I used the vice and a big socket to press them in. Ballistic said the shims are optional.

Yeah, zerk accessibility is something I'll be paying attention to. I've had the poly bushings on Teraflex Lowers and Rough Country uppers (basically the same) for about 4 and 4-1/2 years now, respectively, so I've pumped a few cartridges of grease through those things. Talk about high maintenance and talk about messy--and they still would get worn out too quick. Don't think anyone will ever talk me into rubber or poly bushings again. I was really tempted to get those new Forged Ballistic heims with bronze races, but they woulda broke my budget (even more).

Thanks for the input and advice, guys. :thumbs_up I'm staying RH-LH, and feeling good about it. I'm changing to 5/8" balls for the sake of lead time; even if it's overkill, an extra 1/16" won't hurt. It's good to hear good things about the Johnny Joints, especially since I've been waiting 8 months to do something with them.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

[quote=invert'd;176177 don't think anyone will ever talk me into rubber or poly bushings again..[/quote]

amen from the choir section!
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
          X