Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Logic takes on my 4Runner

After looking at the work Jimmy from Outdoor logic was doing on "The Black Pearl" and hearing from Doug how easy it was to work with him, I decided to give him a shot. The project is my 98 Toyota 4Runner front plate winch bumper. This is my DD and weekend get away wheeler. The bumper I had been drooling over for the past 2 years is from a Fab shop known for not communicating and doubling the lead times even close to the one year mark. Even though everyone was happy once they got the bumper, I am not one to tolerate that kind of service.

After meeting with Jimmy and going over design ideas with him we worked out an agreement. I dropped my 4 Runer off to him on Wed. the 8th to start mock up of my new bumper. I then proceeded to stop by after work to give input and drool over the progress. I am very pleased that he obviously cares about what the customer wants and seems to value my input.

The plan- Do a mock up of one side of the bumper and the winch mounting plates. Then have drawn into CAD files then get it laser cut so all parts are symetrical. Today it was fully mocked and ready for CAD process. This is also important so that he can take the general design and modify dawing slightly to make t work on other vehicle types such as a Grand Cherokee.(I think this bumper would look great on a ZJ) Well here are the pics......

The plan is to have a 2.5 inch LED turn signal and provisions to mount a 4" FOG/Driving light on each side right as it angles back from center under the head lights. There will also be a Center Hoop(pre-runner type), or Full three hoop guard on top to protect headlights and fender corners.

That will look very nice on the front of your Tpy when it's done

Comment

Where does the fairlead go?
      What will it weigh when completed?
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The Fairlead will be close to the bottom edge of the front verticle center section. I am planning on running Synthetic line when I install the Winch. As far as weight goes I am not sure, however Jimmy is building out of 10 guage for the main structure and then thicker for Winch plate area. Might figure out how big a difference it is by going 3/16 for entire bumper. Also there will be two D-Ring mounts on the face that will be tied into the winch plate, which is in direct line with the frame.
        Last edited by Pikeman; 09-15-10, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Looks like it will be pure beef when done. I like it. Remind me not to have you behind me on the trail.
          Check out .

Comment

That bumper looks awesome! nice to see something other than a jeep for a change.
            95 YJ
            2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Dirtman don't worry I am doing a brake upgrade also and I know how to wait and give distance to others on the trail. I can't wait to have it done. Like I said in the first post I have been wanting to do a front bumper for 2 years now.

I like that it isnt a Jeep also. Not because I don't think Jeeps are good but because this fit my needs better. I wanted a full frame with a reliable drivetrain and comfortable for my family. Plus to have something you don't see built up all the time. I also like that it isn't a Tacoma, even though it means finding stuff to upgrade is harder.

Comment

I love that year 4Runner I always wanted one, I actually looked at them before I got my XJ, but they were too expensive. Glad to see Jimmy is taking care of you, I'm sure your bumper will come out great when they're all done.
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Looks like Outdoor Logic is off to a great start . . . Congrats guys . . . keep up the good work!
                  That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I am excited about building some stuff for this platform as it has always been a second favorite of mine.. And its not an XJ...cough kevin

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                    That bumper looks awesome! nice to see something other than a jeep for a change.
                    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
                      I am excited about building some stuff for this platform as it has always been a second favorite of mine.. And its not an XJ...cough kevin
                      Hey dont bag on Kevin... You know once I get tires and smog done, my junk is gonna be at your shop. Better get used to workin on XJs
                      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Thanks Schmo, I love my Job everyday

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                        Looks like Outdoor Logic is off to a great start . . . Congrats guys . . . keep up the good work!
                        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials

Comment

wtf,,,,Allen, how ya been,,,i just picked my jeep up today so get your's down there, he needs a cherokee in the shop...bumper looks great, was hoping to see it today.....

Comment

I was sad to see the XJ go

Now no real updates as the fun begins.. Messing around with drawings and slight tweaks. Pikeman has been great with helping out with ideas. I think we spent over an hour sitting on the ground in front of the Runner coming up with mount ideas and the winch plate. If this were going to be a one off bumper we could jut let it flow as we went. However, the idea is a production run on these so we had to take into account variations of winches and what not...
                            Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

I forgot to say Thank You to all the positive comments. Although the compliments go to Jimmy and his crew since they are doing the fab work.

Comment

Working...
                              X