Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Cross Member

well... i just cant seem to get enough projects going at the same time right now.
    the latest is a cross member to relocate the upper end of my shocks. as it was, i didnt have enough room to compress the shock.
    i just started this project, and hope to have it finished tomorrow. i have a 2"x2" cross member welded between the frame rails, and will weld some 3/16" steel tabs to it to mount the shocks.
    for now, i will leave my lower shock mounts as they are, which is on the spring plate. this is just until i fugure out exactly where to put them, and what to use to mount them to the axle tube.
    here are a few pictures...
    more to come.

Last edited by NAILER341; 06-27-03, 08:11 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Looks good mang!! Can I stress test it for you?!? I'm really good at finding the weak spots in stuff
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

OK! the shocks are in there! the plan changed a bit, but now i have some huge shocks on there! i wound up cutting out a bit of the floor inside the jeep, and running the shocks that way. i /we raised the lower shock mount to the center of the axle tube, which should be well out of the way of the rocks. we created some towers that are welded to the cross member which i made, and installed earlier. the tower goes into the back area of the body tub about 5 inches. it makes for some great travel potential!
      i'll post some pictures tomorrow.. too tired right now.
      THANKS CHRIS!
      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
        OK! the shocks are in there! the plan changed a bit, but now i have some huge shocks on there! i wound up cutting out a bit of the floor inside the jeep, and running the shocks that way. i /we raised the lower shock mount to the center of the axle tube, which should be well out of the way of the rocks. we created some towers that are welded to the cross member which i made, and installed earlier. the tower goes into the back area of the body tub about 5 inches. it makes for some great travel potential!
        i'll post some pictures tomorrow.. too tired right now.
        THANKS CHRIS!
        Anytime mang, Post them damn pics
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

who needs shocks . I been running the rear with no shocks for 6 months!
          2001 TACOJ-7 with RE 6" long arm kit and 4" all pro lonp travel leaf springs in the rear with 37" MTR's, Kilby's gas tank skid plate, 4XDoctors rocker panels, Skid Row engine skid and steering box skid plate, M.O.R.E steering brace etc.. 99 Toyota Tacoma rear axle with 4.10's and E-locker, and 78 HP Dana 44 front with waggy axle shafts, flat tops, manual hubs, with chevy brakes.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

Originally posted by TACOJ-7
            who needs shocks . I been running the rear with no shocks for 6 months!
            People do
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ERIK

Comment

nice self portrait, chris

well... there you have it! i'll have to get out there and test this system out
                it looks like it will work fine. these shocks have 10" of travel. i have to make a shim for the seat, and everything will be back to normal.
                ERIK

Comment

RIGHT ON!!!!!!

did any of the flex pics turn out?

Whos that sick bastard picking his nose?
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Erik that looks great. Nice job
                    2001 TACOJ-7 with RE 6" long arm kit and 4" all pro lonp travel leaf springs in the rear with 37" MTR's, Kilby's gas tank skid plate, 4XDoctors rocker panels, Skid Row engine skid and steering box skid plate, M.O.R.E steering brace etc.. 99 Toyota Tacoma rear axle with 4.10's and E-locker, and 78 HP Dana 44 front with waggy axle shafts, flat tops, manual hubs, with chevy brakes.

1990 XJ With 30's

Comment

yea... well, i was a little nervous about it at first, but once the sparks started flying, and chris was screaming "CUT IT, CUT MORE!!!" it became pretty easy to slice er open
                      no... really, i wanted shocks long enough to get all i could out of the springs, and move the lower mounts up a bit so i didnt tear them off every time i went wheeling. i think this will do it. .
                      the back seat will be fine too.. i'll just have to raise it about 1" to make it work again. i'll cover the shocks with some undecided material to keep the heat, and dust out.
                      that is about it for that one.
                      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                        Looks good Erik! Takes a lot of guts, to cut the tub to run the shocks up through. I like it though. Alot!

Who is that sick bastard picking his nose?? He didn't eat the booger, did he??
                        No I didnt, I mean, he didnt eat the booger. I wasnt that . . . ummm, he wasnt that hungry.

I asked him a couple times if he was sure he wanted to cut the tub. He said something like "its a damn Jeep" Or something like that
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst

So Chris, you didn't... I mean he didn't want a salty little snack??
                          Naa, I was eating Eriks meat all day
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                            No I didnt, I mean, he didnt eat the booger. I wasnt that . . . ummm, he wasnt that hungry.

I asked him a couple times if he was sure he wanted to cut the tub. He said something like "its a damn Jeep" Or something like that
                            YES! he DID eat the bugger. he smeared it on the tri tip he was eating
                            i think i said something like... im i being a fool, or am i entering a new level? it is after all a trail jeep.... right?
                            ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341

i think i said something like... im i being a fool, or am i entering a new level? it is after all a trail jeep.... right?
                              INDEED
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X