Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• receiver shackle

Is there a reason ive never heard of anyone taking the ball outta there ball hitch and putting a shackle in its place? i did this...cost me 15 bucks for the shackle and the rest was free. The shackle is a 7/8, i could have fit a 1 3/4 but it was like 30 bucks. the hitch will withstand the strength of a pull right...the thing is pretty beeeefy. Anyway just giving an idea.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

I think it's a common thing. Maybe you have not seen it because I know at least we try not to leave it back there so it doesn't get stolen around town. And then of course we only get them out on the trail if we need 'em to tug out someone like DUKES! Hahaha
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Yea i figured no one would want them driving around town. I was just wondering if people did it because it seems sorta expensive to buy a 40 dollar thing made just for the shackle. Thanks for the info Sarah!
      B R E T T

Comment

It is easier to put the strap in the receiver and let the pin hold it in place.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

you shoulda told me that before i bought the shackle!!!! oh well my method is cool anyway...
          B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
            oh yeah, duh, al to the rescue!! haha
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Very true, IF, you are using a 2" strap. My 3" 30,000 lb strap won't fit into the receiver to put the pin through it. :mad:

Erik

Comment

allright good so my method can be good for somebody!
                B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                  Very true, IF, you are using a 2" strap. My 3" 30,000 lb strap won't fit into the receiver to put the pin through it. :mad:

Erik
                  If your strap won't fit then I would not use it as a tow point because it won't hold.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

If your strap won't fit then I would not use it as a tow point because it won't hold.
                    i wouldn't use it for a good yank anyways. i wouldn't trust the pin for that, they're able to sustain cruising which doesn't place as much force on it as a strong tug with the weight of a stuck rig behind it.
                    If it works, it's time to try something new

Comment

Actually, the pins are a lot harder than you'd think - and that application puts them in shear. If you search, it's been beat to death on the boards

Can't give you the calc (wrong type of engineer), but been using that trick for almost 30 years. I have yet to see anyone break a pin.

Now, chrome tow hooks - that's another story.....
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

well there you have it. first hand experience beats heresay anyday.
                        If it works, it's time to try something new

Comment

Course, it helps if the bumper is mounted well. Wish I had a $10 spot for every STOUT bumper I've seen mounted with galvanized "I've been to Home Depot" hardware
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY
                          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

That was my point. A 2" strap will fit into the receiver and you can put your pin safely through it. The 3" won't! So you have a need for a shackle receiver setup. Or mounted shackles on the bumper.

Me I don't care. I have a pintle hook on the CJ and I can either put the end of the strap directly over the ball and close the top and pin it, or I can put the strap through the closed pintle and shackle it to itself. Haven't had problems or worries from myself or anyone else using either of those two methods.

Comment

The only problem with that is the pin will mostlikey bend eventually and geting a torch in there to cut the pin in half and not damage the receive is gonna be a PITA.
                              It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X