Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Venomized
    The only problem with that is the pin will mostlikey bend eventually and geting a torch in there to cut the pin in half and not damage the receive is gonna be a PITA.
    Had a guy tell me that back in the mid 70's when I was driving a wrecker on weekends - still waiting to see a bent pin.....

_Might_ be able to do it if you could get a chain in there, and tried to "snap" someone out of sand - or mud.

Of course, trying that with a SWB would be a classic 12777 CVC violation, "Stupid in a No Stupid Zone"
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

The only problem with that is the pin will mostlikey bend eventually and geting a torch in there to cut the pin in half and not damage the receive is gonna be a PITA.
      It will take a whole lot to bend that pin in that configuration. i have always used mine like this, and will continue to use it that way. one less thing to carry around in the jeep, and not be able to find when you need it
      just leave the pin in the receiver.. no one wants that thing.
      if you are going to pull anything hard enough that it would bend one of those hardened pins, you should be using your winch anyway
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

First off, it ain't gonna bend very far. Anyone with a 4" grinder and a cut-off wheel can remove the bent pin in about 30 seconds. As soon as you cut one side, it only has to move about a quarter of an inch to be free and almost fall out the other side. Again, that's if you can even bend it, which I doubt.

I abuse them all the time when I am too lazy to find the shackle. I take winch ropes, fold a loop in them, shove it in the receiver and put the pin through. That's a lot more concentrated stress than a strap and I still haven't bent one.
        I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
        X