Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anybody used the tailgate as a pivot point for a tire carrier?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anybody used the tailgate as a pivot point for a tire carrier?

I'm trying to get started on building my carrier but I'm stuck on the hindges. I want to bolt and pivot off the "body" instead of the bumper. I like the way or fab has their carrier pivot. Any suggestions?
    -Mike

leaf spring bushings works great. CJ fronts fit 1.5 120 wall like a charm. Make sure you back it with a plate on the inside of the tub or you will tweak it.
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

I used the ends of yj factory trackbars. Cut the ends off with 1.5" of tube left in place. made mounts out of 3/16", used the same bolts removed with the trackbars for holding them in the brackets. made mounting backing plates out of 3/16" and tied the upper 2 into the rear cage mounts.
      "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

I like the way you guys think! Have you noticed anything happening to the body?

Comment

My buddy ran an OR FAB tire swing out for years and never had a problem... I like this style of swing out...Never been a big fan of bumper mounted swing outs
          Head nut at Outdoorlogic
          Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
          www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Yeah same here I have the warn carrier and it rattles so much. I try and modified it with a hi lift and a rack and Gerry(?) Cans and it sucks so much

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheelinmike View Post
              I like the way you guys think! Have you noticed anything happening to the body?
              nothing yet. Actually dropped off a ledge 2 days after finishing the install of it. was a straight drop when the rear tires came down. the spare slammed into the rock ledge and left a nice mark on the tire as i dragged the weight of the jeep off it(rear tires in air, front tires pulling, resting on spare).

I jumped out of the jeep and looked it over and nothing moved, no crinkles in the body or anything.

The structure of the carrier is all 3/16"thick 2" square tubing.

Good unintentional way to test your fab work is to find a nice ledge and drop off it. lol.

Comment

Before this tire carrier, I had made one that mounted on the bumper and had a crappy bolt through tube pivot on it.

I kept hitting the bumper on drop offs and the thing bounced and rattled alot because it only had one pivot.

when i pulled it off, i found that where the mountings holes were in the rear crossmember had started to tear the metal of the crossmember.

Now i have no rear bumper, so a better departure angle.

Ill take a pick of it tonight when i get home.

I still want to add a highlift mount, jerry can mount, and cooler mount to it.

Comment

Here are the pics, sorry for quality, still don't have a new camera, so these are cellphone pics. not sure how good they will show up, but you can get the general idea of what I did pretty well.

Comment

The only place that concerns me is on the upper plates, I think I will add 1-2 bolts going down through the upper fenderwell.

On the lower mount on the passenger side it is backed with a 3/16" plate that is larger in surface area than the outter plate(prevents cracking when plate surfaces are not the same).

For the tire mounting plate, used another piece of 3/16" gusseted. removed the studs from the stock carrier. drilled the plate, pounded the studs in and tack welded them on 2 sides to hold them in place.

Comment

Ic ant do it like that. I have led tail lights that's why I need to goto the tailgate hindge. If I remember I'll take a pic of my back

Comment

you can't put the mounting plates above/below the leds?

I could mount led's on the back of mine still if i wanted to.

I would not suggest using the tailgate hinges or the tailgate, I dont think they are strong enough.

Comment

You can always use corner armor plates and built of those and use some backing plates on that. That way you kill 2 birds with one stone, strengthen the rear corners of the tub, you can weld your pivots on the armor if you like and it dissipates the load over a much larger area.

Comment

Nice work Lakev2!
                            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
                              you can't put the mounting plates above/below the leds?

I could mount led's on the back of mine still if i wanted to.

I would not suggest using the tailgate hinges or the tailgate, I dont think they are strong enough.
                              My lights are from the truck stop. Actual built to fit and I did it before I started fabbing and I've been kicking myself in the ass eversince I started fabbing and wanting to build a carrier

Comment

Working...
                              X