Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project trailer

I picked up a nasty old trailer from a friend of mine down in Desert Hot Springs. The axle had multiple cracks and it was bolted straight to the frame. I have been wanting a trailer for a long time since i have a TJ with a shit load of kids and we love to camp.

SO the I took out the old axles and couldn't help but laugh..... I was shocked that i made it home with that thing!

Anyway here are the pics, so far I have spent $37 on 20 ft of 2 x 2 angle iron. $ 60 in 60 ft 1 inch square tubing and $4 bucks in hinges. Oh and $10 bucks on some welding wire.

Took some leaf springs from a old school toyota

I salvaged the original spindles by drilling out the plugs and removing it from the axle.

I had some 2 inch tubing on the side of my house for 3 years so there was my new axle.

I pretty much made everything from scratch except u bolts. perches are out of 2 inch tubing i used a plasma cutter to cut the notches in it. We had some 1/4 inch plate around the shop so i also took the plasma to it and made my backing plates to hold my leaf springs in.

Once I got it rolling i towed it to mu house where i started the framing.

I took it outside and grinded all the rust and old paint of the frame and cleaned up the new metal. Got impatient and wanted to paint so used some spray on bed liner.

That was sunday..... Monday I picked up the square tubing for the tailgate.

Yesterday I got some more tubing and started on the top.

Well my welder took a shit tonight so im heading to the stores tomorrow to see if i can get it fixed or replace it. I plan on running 33 inch tires and getting a roof tent. Ill keep the pics coming I plan on getting it done fairly quickly. So if anyone has a beat up trailer on the side of the house rotting away pm me "Ill come pick it up"!!!!

Sorry for the bad pictures i used my Iphone!!!

Comment

Nice work, I have been seriously considering making/modifying a small trailer for longer trips with the Jeep, since I also usually have jeep full of passengers.

Question are you going the change the style of the hitch from ball to the style used on military trailers or something similar?
      Last edited by lakev2; 03-17-10, 08:43 PM. Reason: added question
      "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
        Nice work, I have been seriously considering making/modifying a small trailer for longer trips with the Jeep, since I also usually have jeep full of passengers.

Question are you going the change the style of the hitch from ball to the style used on military trailers or something similar?

Thanks! 2 years ago I went on the Death Valley trip with Scott, Chuck, Mike and Kurt and I was fully loaded. It sucked having to climb on top of the roof rack everyday to get supplies or even drinks for that matter.

Yes since the tongue is so long I have plenty of room. So eventually (when i get some more $$$$) I will order a pintle hitch so i can travel the more difficult trails with the trailer.

Comment

Ever seen the trailer demolition derbies? saw that one they had on trucks tv, we could do a version of that on Cakewalk.

Trailer run Cakewalk or the Hammers, last trailer standing wins.
          "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Looking good! I need to make something similar. Are you going to triangulate the tongue?
            holes = cowbell

Comment

I like the idea. Is it tough to pull up the hills or rocks?

Now you couldn't flat tow that in California without a class A?

Comment

i like it any idea what it weighs?

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                  Looking good! I need to make something similar. Are you going to triangulate the tongue?
                  Thanks! Yeah Im going to come off the tongue under the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                    i like it any idea what it weighs?
                    Not sure i pull it in and out garage with very ease. Its wont be bad to tow, I do allot of camping out towards San Luis Obispo and Kern and i shouldn't have any trouble towing it. I just put 48 in the Jeep so its a little high which is great now that im towing something. The previous renters in the house i am in use to work for a trailer company in Indiana and he left about 15 20 ft sheet of smooth trailer siding so I lucked out and that stuff is very light with 1/4 wood behind it. Im going to try and get the roof cut out of thin sheet metal to keep it nice and sealed.

Comment

Lookin Darn Good my friend!
                      I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Nice work Mike. That's going to be a nice trailer.
                        Check out .

Comment

Looks like it's going to be a nice trailer. After seeing your thread earlier today I started looking around online in between work. Found this you tube video on chaser's website of one crawling over rocks in moab,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9Jsb2Hu7g

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                            Looks like it's going to be a nice trailer. After seeing your thread earlier today I started looking around online in between work. Found this you tube video on chaser's website of one crawling over rocks in moab,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9Jsb2Hu7g
                            That video is super cool. Very good quality on my iphone. That has great time all over it. Thanks for the video.

Comment

Some more work!

Well I got a new welder a grinded down some of the nasty welds that my almost dead flux welder was giving me a re-welded it with my new 220 gas welder. Anyway somer more paint a few more pieces and I was ready for the floor and skin.

Laid down the floor but first i treated it and sprayed some rubber under coating on the bottom

Once the floor was fitted and drilled I unbolted it and started with the skin. I mentioned earlier I have some 24 foot trailer siding that just needed some trimming. Pieces where long so i had to get the tables ready.

Since my brother is the carpenter i suckered him in too helping me.

Once all the pieces where in I decided since I most probably be sleeping in this thing to lay don some sticky floor....... lick em and stickem!!

finished for today but took plenty of pics!

Tomorrow I have to go get some paint more hardware and then peel off all the sticky protection on the siding so that I can paint it. I'm off all week so I should be done by the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X