Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my 44 in

It took a long time, but my 44 is finally in. Just want to share the recipie for anybody who likes Frankenstein. Start with a set of '74 Scout II 44's with 3.55's (matching my YJ) for $100. Ship them to San Bernardino on the back of a buddy's sand truck for free. Sell front 44 to a Scout guy who needs it for $40. So far $60. I debated finding stock drum setups, or going disc. Enter a set of '88 Samurai rotors for $26 each. Total $112. Had to find a set of rear calipers to fit the Sami rotors with e-brake. Accord EX would be perfect, but nobody wanted to total theirs at the time. Found a free listing on CL for '91 Miata parting out. Checked specs, with a little trimming, good. Total still $112. Cashed in some rewards points on ebay for a set of 3" studs from Summit. Total still $112. Wife bought me a set of adapters 1" thick and 5 on 5 1/2 to 5 on 4 1/2. for $90. Total $202. Master cylinder from ,78 Mercury Marquis, big bowls, big pistons for f/r disc for $26. Total $228. Used $25 gift certificate to 4wheel parts to get new u-bolts. Made brackets to mount calipers. Add tax and I figure roughly $260.

The master cylinder pattern was the same, I had to stand it off about 3/8" to clear the booster. The YJ push rod is adjustable, so I just turned it out to match. The original backing plates had to go, but I needed to keep the same spacing for the bearings. Enter the 4" angle grinder. I just trimmed everything off of the backing plates that wasn't a spacer. Now the rotors were almost tricky. They would not fit over the stock hub flanges. Again the grinder. I set the housing up on jackstands so the shafts could spin freely. I just laid the grinder on the outer edge and let it spin until the rotor fit over. I replaced the studs and sandwiched the rotor under the adapters. Why adapt? Why not stay with 5 on 5 1/2? First, economics. I have matching wheels and matching the rear to the front was a lot cheaper than matching the front to the rear AND getting new wheels. Second, and this is the cool part... The dana 35 - depending on who you ask is 60" to 60 3/4" WMS to WMS. The Scout 44 is 58" WMS to WMS. Add 1/4" thick rotors to each side and then 1" spacers to eack side. Now I have a 44 that is a perfect 60 1/2" WMS to WMS. The only caution is that I had to trim the long studs off as well as the lug nuts that hold them on to be sure they didn't interfere with the wheel seating. The only change for the new master cylinder was that the flare nuts needed to be swapped front and back. On the YJ, they're set up with 1/2" rear brakes, 7/16" front. The Mercury is set up with 1/2" front and 7/16" rear. With front and rear, I am referencing the bowl , not vehicle. The rest is straight forward. I put about 40 miles on it today, and I'm here to write about it.

What I did find, no surprise, I have to replace the wheel bearings and I get a low grumble when decelerating in gear. If I put in the clutch, it's quiet. Had to get it in in a hurry to smog and register, it'll hold for now. All I have to do is stay in a state of constant acceleration.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

nice, love it when a project like this comes together,-frankenstien- nice work makin it all work!

Comment

Hey its a cool story when you told me about it. Im glad everything worked out. Keep on Jeepin!

Comment

nice! what gave u the idea to check miata specs and other cars. just what was available? or did u hear about it elsewhere. this is the kind of stuff i want to learn. anyway good job.

Comment

The way to go for a long time was Cadillac rear calipers and redrilling the rotors to fit, or finding a rotor of similar thickness. Problem I found was that anyone who had these calipers charged like the Caddy was still attached... The other popular option was to use Chevy front calipers and Dodge rotors. This omitted the EMERGENCY BRAKE. It's NOT a parking brake. (rant) Anyhow, I was surfing around and found a Toyota guy who considered redrilling the Sami rootors to fit the 6 on 5 1/2. The bells went off. Duh, it's already 5 on 5 1/2, so let's find something to fit. There would probably be some legality if I suggested to look up rotor thickness specs on autozone.com, so I won't do that. Anyhow, I just looked up the nominal and minimum rotor thickness for the '88 Sami, then stared guessing what other vehicles have the same rotor specs. I found that Mazda Protoge 5, Ford Probe GT, Accord EX specs were dead on. Apparently, they work really well too, because I couldn't find a set to save my life. When I saw the CL for free parting out of a Miata, I checked AZ's site and found they were within .040 nominal. I went for it. I sat on them for about a year and suddenly realized that the piston extended WAY beyond .040 past the seal. So I trimmed .040 off of the open end that seats on the pad. Perfect fit. Yeah, the Accord calipers offer a lot more swept area, but with the big piston of the Ford master cylinder and the 11 inch rotor, I figured the line pressure and radius would be pretty close. It' not an Indy car. I looked at the curb weight of the Samurai, figured 60% front proportioning, the curb weight of the Miata figured 40% rear proportioning and then the weight of my YJ. I had a truck scale at my last job, and it consistently weighed in at 3300lbs. Added a little bit of guesswork and elbow grease. 100 miles today. Think the carrier bearings need replacement, but for the price, and that It works so much better than a grenaded 35, I'm happy.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Oh yeah, check jeepaholics.com tech papers and bc4x4.com for A LOT of great write ups and ideas. Offroaders.com is also good. Look at others' ideas, look up specs, do it, pray and go for it!
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Finally got to address the deceleration howl. My pinion nut was LOOSE. I mean maybe 30 lb-ft! I cranked it back down to 150+ and the howl was gone. I had to get this thing installed in a hurry and didn't think to check this while it sat on the jackstands. Just something for those of us who buy other guys problems to think about.
              Last edited by 6spdYJ; 03-30-10, 01:13 PM. Reason: I still can't type
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
              X