Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be darned, those things really do work! Looks good, Roger!

While you're at it, hit that tow bar with some paint too!
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by SmkSignals View Post
      If you dont want to get to fancy, you could get some magnetic tow lights from Harbor Freight or Pep Boys ..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96933

Hey!! Harbor Frieght had an ad in Sunday's Victorville paper and this light set was on sale for $9.99!!! I drove right into Herperia and bought it. It's normally $26.95. Heck if I decide to wire in the lights I can use this wire, it's cheaper than buying the wiring from Napa!!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

You scored! BTW, thanks for the chance to make those for you.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Just to be extra safe, is there anything backing those up? or is it just washers? If not I'd make a plate to back it up, might as well.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

They're backed by 1/4" thick plates (same size and material as brackets). All edges and corners are rounded to help prevent shearing. Mounting bolts are 1/2".
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Okay - I hooked up the tow bar following the factory owners manual instructions. It seemed to tow just fine.

The research I conducted and advice given to me by a couple of MJR members says that the truck hitch should be higher than the attachment on the bumber. I have about 2" of "upslope" from the bumper to the Hitch. Do you flat towers feel this is enough slope?

Here's a photo of tow bar connected to the Jeep & truck:

Also, I don't understand why the manual says to lock the hubs to lubricate the axles. What difference does that make? I don't drive around with the hubs locked unless I'm going off road, anyone have any idea why this requirement is in the manual???
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Did it say to lubricate the axles? Years ago I had a CJ with a dana 300 and I seem to recall a requirement to lock in the hubs or remove the rear rear drive shaft or something like that so the transfer case wouldn't get destroyed because whatever parts rotation that was occurring as a result of being towed wasn't the same as driving the vehicle and lubrication was an issue.

Comment

I'm not sure about the hubs but your tow bar angle looks good. My towbar manual says not less than 1 inch rise and no more than 4 inches rise.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I would imagine the difference in height is to insure the front end of the jeep gets planted and doesn't want to rise up while braking or if you get rear-ended. Maybe it effects how it tows as well. Does anybody know?

Comment

It is to keep the front end of the Jeep from polvolting into the bed of the pickup.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Well, since no one more knowledgeable about your CJ-7 has responded...

Flat towing (or coasting for that matter) can cause problems because you can have parts that are moving, (e.g., shafts on bearings), say, but no lubricant getting to them. Whatever needs to be hooked up or disconnected has to be so either to prevent something from moving or to provide oil pumping or slinging for something that is moving.
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

I tried to say that in a long drawn out sentence that basically said I didn't know exact the answer either. :smile::smile::smile:

Comment

Originally posted by Commandoman View Post
                            Did it say to lubricate the axles? Years ago I had a CJ with a dana 300 and I seem to recall a requirement to lock in the hubs or remove the rear rear drive shaft or something like that so the transfer case wouldn't get destroyed because whatever parts rotation that was occurring as a result of being towed wasn't the same as driving the vehicle and lubrication was an issue.
                            I correct myself, Commandoman basically already said the same thing
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                            X