X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shant, it will never end, you know it, I know it just get used to it

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
      Same response here. The possibilites are endless if you spend more time. This was thought up on my way to a customers house as I passed by a 4wheelparts store and was outraged by the high price of a hood mount. Then as I pased by an ace hardware, I just stopped in and came up with it in a few minutes.
      I do apologize if you think our hood mount is too high priced. Although I'm not sure if you're appalled at the price for what you get or the fact that some way to mount a hi-lift is that much.

However, if I were to decide that your method would sell and folks would buy it, I could buy all the parts in volume at much cheaper prices and put that kit together and retail it for what you paid and still double my money.

I don't think folks would buy it though because most want just a tad bit more than a few bolts and spacers when it comes to hi-lift mounts. They may also want a place to mount a few lights, maybe an axe, and then perhaps something that is powdercoated and a bit more aesthetically appealing. (not that the appearance of yours bothers me in the slightest, but you gotta think marketing here)

You do get the same offer though as everyone else that is perturbed by manufacturers prices. You come up with a way to provide me with the same product in volume cheap enough that I can sell it at less and still put a few pennies in the coffers for the overhead, packaging, warehousing, profit, and distribution and I'll buy 300-400 a month from you and make sure the price drops at the retail end.

I don;t think the hood will crack at all. The damn thing is mighty sturdy. We're just going to have to find out.
      I agree. We've sold thousands of those hood mounts without a single failure.
      I am Savvy.

Comment

I like your ideas, Shant.

Maybe some simple bracing to 1 or 2 of the other 2 bolts would be all you need for "piece of mind" on support and keeping it from creasing the metal. I'm thinking that it would go from the washer nearest the jack to the other hinge bolt(s), so it would be a diagonal brace.

Here is a commercially available Hi-Lift Jack mount that I really like the design of.

http://www.toadhopshop.com/

What I like about it is that it uses all 3 bolts on the hinge for support and also has a way of locking the jack to deter theft. Given the weight of a Hi-Lift jack, I'm guessing that being supported by 2 bolts using a piece of angle iron would be strong enough to support the weight.

I think that Roger's jack mount comes the closest to this commercially available product. The locking mechanism is simply a MasterLock for a trailer hitch, so that could easily be added to Roger's mount.

They have much better pictures of the Toadhop Metal Shop mount on the writeup at The Jeep Expeditions Group website.

I look forward to seeing your design as it evolves!

Christian
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I kinda did the same thing except i put mine in the rear just behind the rear seat. Why? Keeps it from being weathered, If i were you BASH i'd get a bolt to go upward and drill a hole thru it and then run a lock through that hole. with your set up, your looking at petty theft.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
          X