Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $9 Highlift Hood Mount Write-up

The StoryI've been brain boggles on where to place my highlift. I use to have it mounted to my front bumper but I recently removed the windshield light bar and mounted my offroad lights on my bumper. I placed the highlift behind the back seat but it took too much space with my grill and tool box.

I did some research for a hood mount and found they cost around $90 and I thought that was out of wack. The 4XTrax for $30 also did not make sense because I did not want to mount the high lift to my bumper.

I really wanted the highlift on the hood but did not want to spend $100 for it.

The Solution
    You can mount the high lift to your hood with-out having to drill any holes. Here's my write-up.

1) Visit your nearest Ace Hardware store. I have provided the box numbers of the required bolts and washers so you can find them easily.

2) goto the Nuts and Bolt Section. Now scroll down and read each step to complete the process.

You need the following bolt, washers and steel spacers from Ace Hardware

You need the Following tools

Last edited by MrBash; 12-17-09, 05:16 PM.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

This is what it will look like once you are done. Be sure to tighten the handle with a ziptie so it doesn;t bang onto your hood.

The Finished Look. This only cost me $9, five minutes of time and 30 minutes to find the right bolt height and such.

Now go out and throw that highlift on the hood for nine bucks.
    Last edited by MrBash; 12-17-09, 05:19 PM.

Comment

As far as durability is concerned, I have not tested this offroad yet. However, it is very sturdy. You can also weld the steel spacer and the two wachers together if you have a buddy with a welding machine.

Follow-up report on offroad durability of the mount will be reported soon.

Comment

Well that looks really clean.

What about flipping the bolt over, and putting a thin jamb nut on the top and using wing nuts to hold the lift in place? that way you don't have to take the whole thing apart every time you want to use it. :dunno: How does it set with the hood open?
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Not bad Shant, but I think it will eventually crack the hood just in front of the hinge. Because of the weight of the Jack it will flex there.
          why not go to your dad's welding shop and built a couple of brackets out of some flat stock that bolts to all 3 of the hood hinge bolts and center the mounting point of the jack in the middle of those 3 holes? Little bit more work but should save the hood in the long run, I might be over thinking this though.
          By looking at it again I would make the whole thing out of 2 pieces of square or rectangular tubing, drill 3 holes in the bottom of it to bolt it on top of the hood hinge and one in the top to mount the jack. Make 2 of those and you got a nice sturdy light and simple mounting bracket setup for very little money
          Last edited by aw12345; 12-17-09, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
            Well that looks really clean.

What about flipping the bolt over, and putting a thin jamb nut on the top and using wing nuts to hold the lift in place? that way you don't have to take the whole thing apart every time you want to use it. :dunno: How does it set with the hood open?
            The possibilites are endless my friend. I did this in five minutes because the high lift got oin my nerves sitting on top of my grill....my poor grill.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Not bad Shant, but I think it will eventually crack the hood just in front of the hinge. Because of the weight of the Jack it will flex there.
              why not go to your dad's welding shop and built a couple of brackets out of some flat stock that bolts to all 3 of the hood hinge bolts and center the mounting point of the jack in the middle of those 3 holes? Little bit more work but should save the hood in the long run, I might be over thinking this though.
              By looking at it again I would make the whole thing out of 2 pieces of square or rectangular tubing, drill 3 holes in the bottom of it to bolt it on top of the hood hinge and one in the top to mount the jack. Make 2 of those and you got a nice sturdy light and simple mounting bracket setup for very little money
              Same response here. The possibilites are endless if you spend more time. This was thought up on my way to a customers house as I passed by a 4wheelparts store and was outraged by the high price of a hood mount. Then as I pased by an ace hardware, I just stopped in and came up with it in a few minutes.

I don;t think the hood will crack at all. The damn thing is mighty sturdy. We're just going to have to find out.

Comment

I like it. Really clean look too. I might give this a shot just to get the weight off my rear bumper. I like the idea of putting the bolt up thru the bottom so you dont have worry about loosing the washer and spacer when you take it off. I think it would be stronger if on of the other hinge bolts were used. The other tow are closer to the hinge so there would be less flex. Great idea.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Shant,

I know that there is a couple of places that we can test that durability issue. Maybe a pass or to through the the hoops at 60mph? That is a very professional how to photo set.

Here are a few shots of the setup I have. It is on there like rock! Maybe this will give you some ideas. I know that roger did a cost effective setup also.

Last edited by Mitch; 12-17-09, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Bash,
                    Nice call on that one. Simple is always good. Cheap is even better!
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by OU812
                      I might give this a shot just to get the weight off my rear bumper.
                      Really, a little weight on your rear bumper may not be all that bad--a little more rear wheel traction, ya know. If it's getting caught on rocks, that's another thing.

It's definitely clean looking, but along with Art, I'd be a little concerned about the durability. I know Roger fab'd a nifty budget hood mount with some angle iron.

I've had my 60" Hi-Lift in the back of my Jeep strapped down with my spare for quite awhile, but I'd like to put my back seat in again. I would mount it to my hood, except then I couldn't put my spiffy custom windshield down. Since I will need a tire carrier anyway, I think that's where my Hi-Lift will end up.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Hey Shant,

I love home-brew fab ideas. Here's what I came up with for my high lift jack: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14138

Roger
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          Hey Shant,

I love home-brew fab ideas. Here's what I came up with for my high lift jack: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14138

Roger
                          I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                            Bash,
                            Nice call on that one. Simple is always good. Cheap is even better!
                            Thanks Bud!

Comment

I'm taking this up one notch.

I'm going to get 4 more sets of the bolts/washers/steel spacers.

I'm going to cut a steel plate into a triangle shape to fit the style of the hood hinges. I will attach the steel plate to the three bolts instead of just the "one bolt". There will be a shorter bolt welded to the steel plate so the highlift can rest on it and a wing nut will hold it in place.

The best part of it all...I will attach a rectangular 55 watt driving light to the angled steel plate facing slightly at an angle towards the front of the jeep to light the sides on the night runs.

YES! More lights

DAMN! Just when I thought I was done with only $9.

When will the madness stop?!

Comment

Working...
                              X