Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ front bumper build

OK It all started when I got my new Quadratec catalog. While looking for a replacement bumper, the Four Real Steel XJ caught my eye. It was exactly what I was looking for in a third party bumper. However, there was no way I was going to pay $600, especially since I had a welder and some excess tubing laying around.

By looking at the picture, I determined the different tube sizes needed to make the bumper. After determining what I had on hand, I got the rest from the industrial supply store located in Barstow, CA.

Here is a recap of the materials required:

 10ft 1 ½ tubing
     4ft 2” tubing
     4ft 5/8” tubing (you could use whatever you want ½ to Ύ)
     4ft 6x3/16 flat stock (again whatever you want Ό thick)

First thing is remove the stock front bumper (easy) I then made some templates out of cardboard.

I cut a 2’ hole with a hole saw. I wanted the main part of the bumper to go threw the brackets (which makes it stronger). I don’t have a bender so I did the cut and weld method. The main part of the bumper is out of the 2” tube 3’ long, ends cut strait at 90 degrees.

The corners and the rest of the frame are out of 1 ½” tube. I cut a piece about 15” long and cut the ends at 22 degrees, then another piece 8” long to complete the corner. After that I, butted the ends and tack welded for placement. I also added a piece of tubing to the other end of the corner that I inserted into the 2” tube for strength about 3 inches. Repeat for other corner. It helps if you have friend to help hold things in place and level (I used jackstands and pieces of wood to hold it in position for the tack welding.) The center bar of the bumper runs corner to corner.

For the upper half of the bumper the top hoop you could call it. The center section is 20” long and the ends cut at 30 degrees. The sides are 11” long and the ends cut/notched at 30deg. Centered between the mounting brackets.

angled out at 60deg. The bottom hoop is 30” long/wide and the sides are 12” long with a little piece cut at 22deg.each end to make 45deg. Corner with out being a right angle( tried to give it a more rounded look)

and is angled back/under 50deg.

Now for the corner/light guard made out of 5/8” tube. These I looked at the pic. Of the four real bumper and made them split the headlight and turn/marker light.( these you can mount where ever you want for the look you want to get) I measured down from the top bar of the upper hoop __3_inches angled it down splitting the two lights past the corner .bar length is 22_inches add another piece like 3 inches long at the angle you want. Repeat for the other side.(lots of measuring to get them the same)

the bottom corner supports are from the end of the corner to the bottom hoop corner like __18_ inches long.

I welded 6 tabs on the inside of the bottom hoop to mount the skid plate cut holes with hole saw for look and fog lights to shine threw. (Mine is made out a piece of thin aluminum I had laying around not actual skid plate) but build it how you want it. My wifes jeep is for light duty off road.

The finished product!

The measurements are not exact, they are for your reference. My welder is a Campbell Hausfeld flux core 80 amp, 110 volt. The welds aren’t the cleanest but they work. To clean up the welds, plan on doing A LOT of grinding with a hand grinder. 
    Last edited by tonkadave; 02-29-04, 03:58 PM.
    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Very cool Dave. now only if it could be done by me(15 year old). Thanks for the write up. If i ever find a welder who will do what i tell them to do for a day or two i could get that thing done. Great Job!
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Cleanest cut and weld Job I've seen !!! Very nice thanks for the write up .

Comment

Good Action!!! The blueprint pictures tell the story!
        '78 CJ-7, 304, Scout Dana 44s w/ a Detroit in the rear, T-150 w/ Dana 20, 4" Skyjacker susp and 2" body lift, 33" MT/Rs, Warn XD8000i, and others.

'97 XJ, 4.0L, Dana 30 w/ Truetrac, Chrysler 8.25 w

Comment

Feel like making another one for my 90 XJ? You made it looking easy but I'm not a welder. $$ can be discussed later.
          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

I still got the templates need to get more tubing. A have a friend with a bender if you want to go that way it might take a little longer to get done between work schedules.

Comment

Time's not an issue. I'm driving my XJ as little as possible till I get the front end fixed.But I definately want a new bumper.
              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Just curious, no winch plate? Also, are the connections to the unibody enough to handle a 6000# tug with a tow strap? I should probably take a look under the Missus' XJ to see how far back her bumper attachment goes (?Custom 4x4?).

PS. I think the write-up and measurements are great! Especially cool that you didn't need to rewire the garage or even buy a bottle of shielding gas to run the welder to do this job!
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

The bumper is mounted in the same place as the factory one and from the pictures of the ones with a winch it seems that it is mounted in the same location. with a winch plate would make it stronger (boxing it) but there is realy no other place other than the factory mounting point. When I took the factory bumper off it WASN"T the beefiest thing!

Comment

How far back does the bracket go, did you use the existing bolt holes or did you use them and add holes farther back? I know when mounting tow hooks the bracket extends further than the stock bumper bracket. Since the unibody wouldnt be able to hold the weight of a pull.
                    B R E T T
                    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Working...
                    X