Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

add up the time you spend making the corners, sourcing the aluminum, finding someone to roll the stock, finding what the radius is, and hoping you didn't screw it up. then you are finally finished and you have some chunks of aluminum in your hands ready to bolt to your rig... add in the extra time and effort to struggle through the installation of the misaligned parts.
    those corners aren't so bad...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The radius is 3" the way to bend it we got figured out just need to lay my hands on the aluminum and do it

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        just need to lay my hands on the aluminum
        HUH? Do you have to say a prayer and annoint it with oil too?
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
          add up the time you spend making the corners, sourcing the aluminum, finding someone to roll the stock, finding what the radius is, and hoping you didn't screw it up. then you are finally finished and you have some chunks of aluminum in your hands ready to bolt to your rig... add in the extra time and effort to struggle through the installation of the misaligned parts.
          those corners aren't so bad...
          according to my employer... my time is not as valuble as yours... ill make em!

even tho i bought steel ones
          starvin student...

Comment

double poster
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

i dont know what your talkin about
              starvin student...

Comment

The radius is 3" the way to bend it we got figured out just need to lay my hands on the aluminum and do it

I don't believe the radius is 3"
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

6" pipe seems to match it pretty close

Comment

6" pipe seems to match it pretty close
                    Its close. But the closer the better. Corners w/ gaps don't look too good.
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Very true, I better get jiggy with it banged the left rear some more on the Bullfrog trail

Comment

Genright's AL corners are 3/16" 6061 in the T6 temper. Unless you have a press brake with a special set of dies, you won't be able to get a satisfactory radius for your corner.

Not to mention that when you load it in the die, a sixteenth inch out of square means that that they won't line up well with the top of the tub rails.

You're welcome to try, but I don't really think you want to turn 300 bucks worth of metal into shiny scrap.

Personally, I'd take the money you have for metal, lay off your favorite adult beverage for a month and then talk to Tony or Robert up at Genright.

Just so you know, I tried that bend several years ago with a piece 6061, a chunk of 6" pipe, a shop press, and it failed miserably.

Fortunately it was only a piece that was 18" square.
                        I am Savvy.

Comment

Any progress on this? I've been thinking of something similar for quite awhile. The thing that intimidates me is, of course, making the radiused bend/ brake. For what it's worth, I'd say go for 1/4" or better. I have 1/4" Fabtech steel rockers on my rig, and they're not THAT heavy, but that extra 1/16" of steel makes them a lot stronger than 3/16". With aluminum the trade off will be even better.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

You can find the radius using a framing square, Just hold thye sqaure up to the corner so both straight sections of the square are touching their respect side. The measure from where the square touches the jeep to the inside corner of the of the square and you have your radius. My 85 CJ7 has a rear corner radius of 3" inches. I wouldn't think the TJ would be double that.

Hope this helps. Works everytime.

Comment

Ok I apologize for for talking on the phone and typing at the same. But you get the idea.

Comment

just hydroform it... haha yeah right..
                                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                                X