Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising gas tank

saw this on pirate forums. I read about 3 of them on the tj and one for a yj.

Am gonna start it this week. I dont need the tub for anything but tools. I believe the raise will be 8 inches. Looks like 2 nights of work and some cutoff wheels.

Will give me more clearance in the under the backend.

So question is who has done this? And what choices were for your crossmember?
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

I get this for a WJ, the tank hangs down like a nutsack. most tank skids/sliders like genright moves the tank up a smidge and relieves the chance of tank xplosion on da rocks.... I dont know if its werth it to do such a mod, I dont hit mine as much as I hit da rear bumper/tire carrier... but I'm on leaf springs... I wood rather have a lower CG than a higher tank, besides the genright slider protects my xhaust pipe a lil bit...
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I'm installing a fuel cell in the rear cargo space. My main reason for raising the gas tank is to stretch the wheelbase. I thought about recessing the tank in the body but i decided to install the fuel parallel to the wheel well.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of Kurts foot!

Comment

Yeah I saw a yj this weekend with a fuel cell in the bed.

I am gonna start cutting it today. Per one thread all you have to do is pull the fuel lines longer. I may go with that or just extend them. anyways will post pics
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

all the evap lines run above the tank on your jeep. you have to relocate those too. Personally I would find a fuel cell or make a tank that fits between the frame rails and is a little shorter, then skid the bottom.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

not a bad idea dukes. but I am gonna try it this way for now. I think going this route is smoglegal stuff whatever. Plus it wont cost me anything. I have a friend at a metal shop I will go to tomorrow and see what he has for me. Probably along the lines of square tubing for the frame around and above gas tank.

Anyways will post pics as I go.
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

well got the tank out and all the lines capped off for now. Just positioning it to see where it is at. I fabbed the bottom of square tubing.

I decided to mount it on top bed. considering I never have anything but a couple bags of spares and tools. So will just leave it there until a fuel cell drops in my lap. Will just make the frame out of tubing and then either strap it down or somehow bolt it down. am gonna research that part tonight.

Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I've never met someone so eager to cut into their Jeep . . . you're out of control bro! Considering how far the Womb Raider has come in the last year, I'm pretty sure you'll be looking at a buggy here pretty soon.
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I guess another reason is I might be stretching the rear soon. maybe..
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Just stay away from LAX, they might get the wrong idea with a tank full of gas back there!

Comment

Holy crap man. You might as well put the trans and transfer between the seats. Then all ya got to worrry bout is da axles.
                      I saw someone mention about CG. Doesn't that move it higher, I mean to a point where you can feel it?
                      And the spare? On top of fuel cage?
                      David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                      I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

yeah will stay away from major airports.

am gonna cover it. with either aluminum or steel. here is a pic of someone else's.

and Dave I don't think it will matter that much. I will find out if it will eventually.

I was looking at fuel cells and am looking at the 15 gallon and less.

And Dave again. I have no spare. Will leave it in tow rig.
                        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

lookin good bro, im in tha middle of a simmilar job my self right now. ill post it up
                          starvin student...

Comment

did all your hoses reach when you put it in the bed?
                            starvin student...

Comment

umm I had alot of pulling stuff out before I got that far. I am gonna move that canister stuff either under the bed or by the gas tank.

I spent a while last night researching what people did in doing this. there are many ways. But am gonna start something tonight.
                              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                              X