Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a novice in my wheeling skills, I will probably build a stroker with some hp when my 4 liter goes, I will run at least one detriot locker in the rear and mabe up front, I will run 33" tires when my 31"s go. I love mountian passes enough that I am planning on getting a winch.

Comment

is that super 35 kit still up for grabs? I think desert Jewel will be interested, although I have a D44 in the backyard with her name on it, it still needs brackets and gears...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
        I have heard about this theoretical ring gear destruction if you gear the D35 over 4.10. Although I am not an expert, but from my experiances I just don't see it. (I could see if you were running a v-8 and bigger than 33" tires and using the gas to make up for driving skill.)

Would you mind educating me on this variance?
        1) Does the r&p gear thickness change that much at or above 4.10 gears?
        2) If so, then why does the factory install 4.10 gears in the 4cyl Jeeps?
        3) Why did my 4.88 gears survive for 2+ years while rock crawling on 33" MTR's (what I consider a heavy tire) and 4.1 gearing?
        1)Im not exactly sure on the thickness change but the higher you go in ratio the more teeth there are and the more likely the pinon shaft is weakened. Read this thread... specifically post 9 and above.
        http://myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8494
        2) Im sure they install 4.10s in 4cyl because without them a 4cyl Jeep would have now power whatsoever especially on the uphill and i dont think theyre expecting someone to do massive burnouts with theyre 4cyl Jeep...
        3) i NEVER said you couldnt gear it higher and still wheel it as long as your good about letting off the skinny pedal. I wheeled my D35 (pretty hard if you ask me) and it survived and ive also had a buddy wheel the piss out of his D35 for 2+ years with out a problem. Its just from what ive seen, its really easy to tear up a ring gear when you go 4.10s or highr and are a little hard on the throttle.

But theres always instances, i know people that have blown there D35 to pieces with 31s and stock gears and otheres that have wheeled the piss out of a D35 with 35s and are not easy on the throttle... Maybe its just luck?
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=15081.0

ford 8.8 $300 last i checked..disc brakes, locker, and diff gaurd. Not sure if he will ship but I know he wants it gone...would probably even take $200 plus shippin
          Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

Since there is little or no value to my d-35 mabe I should see if I can break it with my wheeling.
            I fouind a '91 exploere in my neighbrahood wrecker-yard for $350, 57" wide with 3.5" tubes.
            I found a vintage cherokee with dana 44 front and rear that had 58" long front end adn 3.25" front tube diameter. I found a late modle cherokee with a hp d30 for $350 and the 4 liter in it was 650$$ as a runner and $350 rebuildable.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntersbo View Post
              Since there is little or no value to my d-35 mabe I should see if I can break it with my wheeling.
              I fouind a '91 exploere in my neighbrahood wrecker-yard for $350, 57" wide with 3.5" tubes.
              I found a vintage cherokee with dana 44 front and rear that had 58" long front end adn 3.25" front tube diameter. I found a late modle cherokee with a hp d30 for $350 and the 4 liter in it was 650$$ as a runner and $350 rebuildable.
              I think you need 94/95 and newer Explorer axle to get the rear disc brakes. The 8.8 is physically larger than the 44 and hangs down more. The Cherokee is a great platform to wheel, and if you can find one with a 44 in it for cheap, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by markw View Post
                The Cherokee is a great platform to wheel...
                I tend to disagree.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                  1)Im not exactly sure on the thickness change but the higher you go in ratio the more teeth there are and the more likely the pinon shaft is weakened. Read this thread... specifically post 9 and above.
                  http://myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8494
                  2) Im sure they install 4.10s in 4cyl because without them a 4cyl Jeep would have now power whatsoever especially on the uphill and i dont think theyre expecting someone to do massive burnouts with theyre 4cyl Jeep...
                  3) i NEVER said you couldnt gear it higher and still wheel it as long as your good about letting off the skinny pedal. I wheeled my D35 (pretty hard if you ask me) and it survived and ive also had a buddy wheel the piss out of his D35 for 2+ years with out a problem. Its just from what ive seen, its really easy to tear up a ring gear when you go 4.10s or highr and are a little hard on the throttle.

But theres always instances, i know people that have blown there D35 to pieces with 31s and stock gears and otheres that have wheeled the piss out of a D35 with 35s and are not easy on the throttle... Maybe its just luck?
                  I understand where you are coming from now.....It makes sense that the R&P can become weak point in the assembly as you climb in gearing.

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                  It's not the diameter of the ring gear that makes it stonger or weaker as you change ratios, it's the thickness. And as the number of teeth on the pinion gear gets smaller, so does the actual size of the pinion gear. That's what makes it weaker.
                  Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                    I tend to disagree.
                    And ill disagree with Brian on that one... But we tend to agree to disagree
                    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                      And ill disagree with Brian on that one... But we tend to agree to disagree
                      :yay:
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                      X