Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on traction enhancing

Just wondering if i could get any suggestions on what kind of locker setup I should go with on my YJ. I was thinking Detroit Softlocker in the rear and then Detroit Truetrac in the front, which is more of a limited slip. Any comments on what works well for everyone else would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I run the Detroit Soft locker in the rear ad am very happy with it. The LS up front is a common solution. For max traction you probably want a full locker up front, and a quality selectable locker (ARB) is a good choice. I happen to run Detroit lockers front and rear. This can make turning a trail running more difficult, but with a twin stick transfer case I am able to avoid some of these problems. I have known may rigs set-up as you described, and they are very very capable. I know they cost more than other lockers, but I do not think you can go wrong with either the Detroit of ARB lockers.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Ooops, I should have previewed that post for typos. Sorry about that.
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

all depends on how you use your Jeep and what "quirks" you're willing to deal with.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
          all depends on how you use your Jeep and what "quirks" you're willing to deal with.
          Yep, this is correct.

A selectable locker up front would be best, there's gonna be times you'll want an open up front. Personally I have selectables, front (OX) rear (ARB). First it was a Detriot in the rear but it stranded me twice...no more. End up with ARB mainly because the people I'll run with have ARB's, carry spare parts and know how, it just made scence.
          Don't go budget here if your gonna really wheel it failures at that magnatude are not fun and towing is costly too.

B&T TJ

Comment

I dunno about the Detroit lockers breaking, but I sure have seen alot of ARB failures on the trail. I run the classic Detroit lockers front and rear in my YJ and I love it! I will tell ya it does take a bit of getting used to, but the front won't lock up on you in a turn once you learn how to drive them, and in 2wd you don't even know it's there.
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
              I sure have seen alot of ARB failures on the trail.
              what type?
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
                Just wondering if i could get any suggestions on what kind of locker setup I should go with on my YJ. I was thinking Detroit Softlocker in the rear and then Detroit Truetrac in the front, which is more of a limited slip. Any comments on what works well for everyone else would be appreciated. Thanks.
                I run this same set-up. I have had no problems. I think it is the best bang for your buck. I bought mine from drivetrain warehouse with new gears and master install kits for $1200. The true trach works great in most situations.
                :wink:

Comment

I run Detroits front and rear and they are great. Sure they do strange things on the road - but it doesn't bother me.

I agree that they can be hard to steer but only on slickrock. Any kind of loose surface and they steer just fine.

I agree that the ARBs sound great in principle, but I too have seen many failures on the trail. Not the lockers themselves but all the ancillary equipment: pumps, valves, fittings, wiring etc...
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                    Not the lockers themselves but all the ancillary equipment: pumps, valves, fittings, wiring etc...
                    which, in most instances, would be the fault of the individual who installed those parts. :wink: :thumbs_up
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I run detroits front and rear with a 2 low kit
                      Detroits take a bit to get used to on the street, of corse untill you are in 4x4 the front one is invisible but the rear one will take a bit to get used to.
                      Strong point about the detroits is they are super strong and always there. which brings you to the 2 low kit, you need to make that super sharp turn while in 4x4 you pop into 2 low and make it then pop back into 4 low. Makes having that detroit kinda selectable in the front.
                      I have run a truetrac up front, but since the switch to the detroit locker and 2 low kit I would not go back, the detroit is just the shiznit.
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

which, in most instances, would be the fault of the individual who installed those parts. :wink: :thumbs_up
                        I have to agree
                        most failures are from bad instalation or not maintaining the system, of all the selectables the ARB and the Fugi in the Rubicon seem the best.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

2 low kit? Keeps the rear diff in low while in 2wd?

Comment

Originally posted by Borregowrangler View Post
                            Sooooo...your going to tackle Sidewinder, aren't you?
                            "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                            (Charles Wells)

Comment

In your case....yes
                              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X