Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bob,

When did you stretch your Jeep to a LWB?

And just for kicks --->

-Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
      Hey Bob,

When did you stretch your Jeep to a LWB?

And just for kicks --->

yeah...goof up there, didn't I? Figured one of the moderators would fix it.
      I got the drive shaft back from the driveline specialits. They said the drivcshaft with its C.V. and u joints are fine. Now I am really confused. Well, I'll put it back in and see what it does.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
        yeah...goof up there, didn't I? Figured one of the moderators would fix it.
        I got the drive shaft back from the driveline specialits. They said the drivcshaft with its C.V. and u joints are fine. Now I am really confused. Well, I'll put it back in and see what it does.
        Bob,
        Have you checked the pinion? You never had that diff worked on have you? No upgrades to the gears or anything? If the pinion nut backs off (highly unlikely, BUT) it would cause the pinion and yoke to move and would look similar to what you're describing.
        Rat
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Fixed
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thank you Sarah.
            Kurt, been just too busy at work and home remodel to look at Jeep. I obviously do not know what I am looking at, when checking the drive shaft. I am going to beg Mat to come over and look at it with me when I have it up on jacks to see it run. The pinion nut is tight, no movement in the pinion area at all, all the u joints are tight, C.V. feels tight, I have the ESS221 in the transfer case. Nothing is probably wrong with it at all. The vibration I am feeling at higher speeds maybe a wheel out of balance.:dunno: I'll keep looking and learning, in the meantime....:bonk: Maybe a few of :cocktail: will help. Pass the popcorn Bob, I'm enjoying argueing with myself here.:shout:
            "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
            (Charles Wells)

Comment

Thank you Sarah.
              Kurt, been just too busy at work and home remodel to look at Jeep. I obviously do not know what I am looking at, when checking the drive shaft. I am going to beg Mat to come over and look at it with me when I have it up on jacks to see it run. The pinion nut is tight, no movement in the pinion area at all, all the u joints are tight, C.V. feels tight, I have the ESS221 in the transfer case. Nothing is probably wrong with it at all. The vibration I am feeling at higher speeds maybe a wheel out of balance.:dunno: I'll keep looking and learning, in the meantime....:bonk: Maybe a few of :cocktail: will help. Pass the popcorn Bob, I'm enjoying argueing with myself here.:shout:
              Say the word, I'll come help you. My pleasure.

Kurt
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Maybe we can plan a "Fix Bob's Vibes" party tomorrow? I've got plans today, but tomorrow works for me. Say the word Bob! Let me know what time! If Kurt can come, all the better, I'm sure he's got much more knowledge than I do!
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                  Maybe we can plan a "Fix Bob's Vibes" party tomorrow? I've got plans today, but tomorrow works for me. Say the word Bob! Let me know what time! If Kurt can come, all the better, I'm sure he's got much more knowledge than I do!
                  Thanks Mat, Kurt. I know you guys would come if asked.
                  Mat, this Sunday we are having an engagement dinner for the daughter.... I'll call ya next week.
                  (Charles Wells)

Comment

Thanks Mat, Kurt. I know you guys would come if asked.
                    Mat, this Sunday we are having an engagement dinner for the daughter.... I'll call ya next week.
                    Everybody here from Michigan (or wherever it was back east)? Congrats to you and yours, and hopefully it all goes well...

No whining Bob! Live it up! If you need any pointers on how to save money, my wedding was UNDER $6K... and take a look at the pictures... you'd never know it:
                    http://gallery.matandtiff.com/main.php/v/Wedding/Ours/

Comment

Bob. If you don't have a magnetic base and dial indicator, I do. Maybe we can investigate this together. Knowing what I know about your jeep, I'm guessing your problem is just pinion angle.

Does the shaft wobble when the Jeep is stopped, and you try moving it all with your hand? If so, it's probably a U-Joint as Kurt suggested.

The reason I think it could be pinion angle is because you have the SYE/CV driveshaft but still have the stock control arms. Your pinion angle was adjusted by 'wollowing' out the stock holes and making your stock control arms work. Maybe they came loose and messed up your pinion angle on your last couple outings. Maybe an angle-finder would be a better tool for you to get so you can check your pinion accurately. If your pinion is off, I'd suggest getting some RE rear upper adjustable control arms. Northridge4x4 is a good place for that. David is a really nice guy! That's where I got mine from (which I haven't installed yet)!
                      Same myself a lot of grieve if I would just listen.:bonk: Yup, Pinion angle. Better now. :thumbs_up Looking forward to getting some rear upper control arms.... the lower ones are ....? shocks? hmmm better replace them too, yes?
                      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Same myself a lot of grieve if I would just listen.:bonk: Yup, Pinion angle. Better now. :thumbs_up Looking forward to getting some rear upper control arms.... the lower ones are ....? shocks? hmmm better replace them too, yes?
                        Bottoms aren't necessary for adjusting pinion angle. Adjustable lower arms are used for changing your wheelbase. It's not a bad idea to replace the bottoms though even if you're not trying to adjust wheelbase. If you've got the dough, why not do it! Stronger, better joints (if you buy the right ones) and potentially better bushings (let's start another MJR argument...).

EDIT: You shouldn't need to replace shocks...
                        Last edited by Materdaddy; 04-23-07, 11:03 PM.

Comment

What to do about your bent driveshaft

Remove the shaft from the vehicle and take it to a reputable drive-line shop. A drive shaft is a precision balanced component of the drive-train. If it is bent it can be straightend but needs to be rebalanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout99 View Post
                            Remove the shaft from the vehicle and take it to a reputable drive-line shop. A drive shaft is a precision balanced component of the drive-train. If it is bent it can be straightend but needs to be rebalanced.
                            RTT!!! :bonk:

Comment

RTT!!! :bonk:
                              Hey John,
                              thanks for your imput. Check out page one of this thread. Pete gave a good recommendation for a driveline shop here in San Diego. I did have the shaft checked by a driveline shop in Oceanside. Turns out that changeing the pinion angle was the cause of the wobble.
                              (Charles Wells)

Comment

Turns out that changeing the pinion angle was the cause of the wobble.
                                So did you fix it using your stock arms and the "wollowed" out holes, or correctly with upper adjustable arms in the rear? (Just curious)

Comment

Working...
                                X