Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ol 258 Seems Like its Burning Alot of Oil

Hey everyone...i dont know if you remember or not but i came to this forum a couple of months ago after purchasing my 78' CJ5 for $200, i had plans of just fixing the floorboards and beating through the ohio winter with it but...she has found a soft spot in my heart to restore her and make her almost like new again...ive got the body problem sorted out by going to a fiberglass body kit from 4wd.com (a few miles up the road from me) and i'm having the frame blasted and painted...only thing left is the motor...It runs but it runs rough and seems to die easily, i think alot of it has to do with the carb needing a rebuild but thats on the way...The main question i have is, it seems like its burning alot of oil, everytime i start it up it blows a huge cloud of blue smoke and everytime i give it gas it blows blue as well...But one thing puts a twist on this, the plugs a spotless. You know how when you burn oil your plugs get kind of a gummy oily buildup on them and the foul out? These are clean, and only have alittle bit of carbon on them, no oil residue what so ever.

The main thing im trying to find out is....what could this possibly be? I have a 258 I6 with the Carter 2bbl carb and manual choke. Its definatly going to get much needed tune up items(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, new fluids, belt, and some various gaskets) since it sat for 3 years after being a daily driver for 5. Since i have everything torn apart i wanna take care of it now and get her back on the road for next spring...

Thanks For your Help
    Kyle
    $200 78' CJ5, Rusty Floors, and No brakes but a work in progress

Hey Kyle,
    Usually if you start up an engine and blue smoke comes out the exhaust that is normally a sign that the valve guides have/are going bad. Smoke out the pipe when you rev it, or when you are driving, can be the valve guides as well. BUT, it can also mean the rings are taking a dump on you. Do a compression test on it and that should help you determine which cylinder(s) is/are bad. I'm not sure about the plugs. I would think that if its burning oil that it would show in the plugs. Maybe its not burning that much oil, so it doesnt show all that much in the plug. I'm not really sure about that. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Will do dukes thanks for the quick reply, im gonna work on that tonight...i think a buddy of mine is going to help with the head probly just plan or rebuilding the engine somtime here soon...should funds prevail haha

Thanks Again
      Kyle

Comment

Well i finaly got my lazy self around to running a compression test and the numbers were better than i expected...the motor felt strong when i had it running it just seemed like the blue smoke made me think differently....looks like ill be rebuilding the head

Kyle

Comment

Just a little inf.........I have the 258 I6 with 207,000 miles and I'm losing less then a quart between oil changes. It's my gas mileage that has be quessing on why it's consuming so much with the six cyl and two barrel carb.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X