Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Transmission

Does anybody know what the automatic trans in a 1994 Yj is? Is it any good? You know, the usual good and bad!

Thanks,
    That's a BIG rock!

Assuming you mean a 1994 YJ with a I-6, it's a 32RH (or 999, whatever you want to call it), the same as a TJ. If it's behind a 2.5L, it could be a 30RH, which I think means it has lighter duty clutch bands. I believe the housings are the same. Pretty much all of the 904 style transmissions can be beefed up a bit with some performance bands and the same shift kit stuff you can get for any chrysler trans, but I'm not sure they even really need it unless you are pushing extra power. I think it's not very efficient, but who cares? I noticed a huge decrease in how much pull my CJ has after swapping out the T-5 for the 904, but it is really nice in the rocks. I'm not sure anyone could talk me into going back to a manual trans at this point, but I haven't blown up the tranny yet either.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I quess what I want to know is, Is this a good tranny? Does it make sence to swap it in? I can get it for next to nothing, and it's all complete. The whole harness, cables, trans, t-converter, and flexplate.
      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman View Post
        I quess what I want to know is, Is this a good tranny? Does it make sence to swap it in? I can get it for next to nothing, and it's all complete. The whole harness, cables, trans, t-converter, and flexplate.

Rick is happy with his but he also tows his rig to the trail. I'm not sure how much you'd like it if you drive on the freeway everyday. Next time you're driving around, don't use 5th gear, see what you think. :dunno:
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Aren't automatics geared diffierently FOR the fact they are only three speeds?
          WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

do you tow your rig rick just cause it would take too long to drive there or are you no longer street legal, your avatar pic doesnt look too extreme to no longer be legal

Comment

Brian I will give it a try. Maybe I should look for a 4 speed out of a cherokee:dunno:
              That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman View Post
                Brian I will give it a try. Maybe I should look for a 4 speed out of a cherokee:dunno:
                wiring nightmare.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

What auto is in the TJ's?
                  That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
                    What auto is in the TJ's?
                    Basically the same one that's in the YJ, but I'm not 100% sure what year they started making them all locking torque converters.

Yes, I trailer because it's got an auto and 4.56's with 35s. If I had the desire to drive to Colorado, Utah, and wherever else we end up going at a top speed of about 58 mph, I could drive it. If you are running 35s and doing much freeway driving, you probably want 4.10s. The 904/999/32RH are strong enough unless you are going to swap in a V8 or something, and even then it's probably ok with lots of cooling capacity. As Brian suggests, try driving around in 4th gear and see what you think, then make sure you get a lockup torque converter model (don't know exactly what year that started), and an auto ECU and you'll have a complete bolt in setup that will actually drive like yours does in 4th gear... Mine probably loses ~25 rpm vs calculated from gear ratio due to the torque converter slipping, so I end up pushing some serious rpm to go down the highway.

If there is a trailer in your future, slap whichever one you want in it (lockup or not), put 4.88s in it (assuming you don't have 4:1 tcase) and call it a crawler. I think 4.56s with 4:1 and an auto is a bit overkill. I have to shift into high gear just to drive down the trails on the way to the trails...
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Comment

That's what I run, 4.56's and 35's. I would hate to loose the overdrive. I thought that the newer TJ's had 4 speed auto's?
                      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Hey Shawn

I have 32RH in my YJ 35in MTR 4:56 gears 65mph = 2950 rpm. Good transmission great in the rocks would never stick it. Daily driver good in town 65 on open road get passed a lot but hey thats life. Check out Stu Olsens sight he put a 4speed auto in his TJ (from cherokee) you lose the ability to lock it into first (first second position on selector down hill will pop into second) computer controlled trans.

Good Luck Russ

Comment

The late model 4 speed in the TJ has it's own problems besides the same complexity of install as the XJ AW4. It's got a humongous pan and I would venture a guess that one would cost about twice that of a 32RH (this is total BS, I really have no idea, just a guess). But it might be cool to have a bolt in 4 speed without having to chop all the wiring. I suppose you'd have to swap harness and ECU, convert to coil on plug ignition, and swap the distributor for the trigger thingy, but other than that no problem

My Jeep

Comment

Thanks, guys! I will still have to think about this but know I have some good info!
                            That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Russ did your jeep come with the auto?
                              That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X