• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1500 in adapters alone.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

How much is that Atlas??? I vote for the 700R4 also, just make sure you get the ~1990 version with 30 spline output... Or, to make things really interesting, you could start thinking about selling me that Dynatrac for the Sarah edition and you can start shopping for D60's... he he he

lol

:shades:
      rick & sarah
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

there's an idea.
        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

:yay:!
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Hey Brian, just a slightly off topic opinion. Let me warn you, most people don't like to hear this opinion, but I feel that it is a important thing to consider.

If you are doing any extream 'wheeling (hammers, etc) on anything more than a rare occasionial basis, your rig does not belong on the street. You put a huge amount of stress on the frame and chassis doing that stuff, and things will break, it is only a matter of time. You dont' want it to be while going down the freeway at 75mph. You would be endangering yourself and everyone else out there. I have been wheeling with some friends out here who rarely do anything except extream trails, and one look at the chassis on these rigs (even the buggies that people like Shannon Campbell build), it is obvious, that stuff takes it's toll, there is too much to go wrong, and people can die because of it.

So please, for the safety of yourself and those around you, if you are going to do much extream wheeling, put your jeep on a trailer. Get a different vehicle to drive on the street, the jeep wouldn't belong there.

Or, as most people seem to be doing (those who are into the extream thing, anyway), build a trail only rig. Keep the jeep for moderate (rubicon/John Bull/Calico type) wheeling.

I now return you to your regularly schedualed thread, which doesn't contain these opinions that most people don't want to hear.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks Brian. To tell you the truth I agree with you.

This leads to even more things. A garage, which means a house.

Anyone know a good real estate agent?
              Last edited by blkTJ; 10-30-03, 10:46 PM.
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Friggin Bull Malarky . . . I declare. Maintenance!!! Keep up on your junk. Go through before and after your run! I only want a trailer because 4.88's and a 1:1 final tranny ratio SUCKS.

IMO
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                  Friggin Bull Malarky . . . I declare. Maintenance!!! Keep up on your junk. Go through before and after your run! I only want a trailer because 4.88's and a 1:1 final tranny ratio SUCKS.

IMO
                  wussy! i agree with the maintainance
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Maintenance is a good thing. But extreme 'wheeling is not for street driven rigs. It is one thing if you go out once or twice a year and spend a weekend running the hammers, it is a totally different story if you are out there running them every couple of weeks.

Brian, I do indeed know a good real estate agent. Bad news is, she is down here in Tucson. The good news is that my new garage (with attached house) is scheduled to be finished in 18 days.

KG6OWO

Comment

Yeah! Brian can build his extreme trail rig in my garage...lol. I also agree profusely, but alas, with the cost of the tow rig, I can't afford to spend $10000+ building a rock buggy to tow with a $35000 tow rig...

Anyhow, back on topic.... I think for the use you are looking for Brian you are probably right, a bolt in tranny probably would be the best. The gearing on the 700R4 is probably lower than you need for the I-6. It seems like it would rev 1st gear out really easy making it quirky around town...
                      Last edited by rick; 10-30-03, 10:05 PM.
                      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I hear you on the money thing Rick. There is a reason my heep is still stock.

As for the gearing in the 700r4, 1st is 3.06:1. Hardly too low IMO. Assuming a 4:1 kit in the t-case and 4.10's in the axles, that is only 50:1. The fact that it is a automatic makes that number a little more workable, but still leaves room for improvement.

Personally, I would be looking for a good manual tranny to put in it (something along the lines of a nv4500--5.6:1 1st gear, and .73:1 5th gear).
                        Last edited by goodtimes; 10-31-03, 12:42 AM.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                        X