Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 30 upgrade?

I am looking at upgrading my 2003 tj dana 30 that is currently open w/ 4:56 gears on 35's. I was looking to go w/ a 44 front w/ arb lockers and same gears. I was told by a local shop to keep my d30 on and they would install warn or superior 44 inner axles an arb locker and keep the same 4:56 gears in. They also said I could keep my outer axles stock, and that my u joints are the same size found on d44. Or I could spend a little more and upgrade the outer axles. Does this sound right? Can you put 30 spline 44 inner axles in a d30. Is this the way to ugrade my d30 or should I go with a whole new set up?

It is called a super30 kit. Chromolly axles and a locker. Depending on what you do, this really may not even be necessary. The 30 will hold up to a lot of crap.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Yeah igofshn is right its just like what they have at http://www.superioraxle.com/
      but if it were me and i had the money (just cause your running 35s) Id up grade to a bigger axle then the turddy. Just my 2 pennies...
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Right on. Is this set up just as strong as any 44 set up?

Comment

Well esentially yes... It supposed to be, but ive seen plenty XJ guys kill their superior axle 30s. But thats on some of the hardcore hammer trails.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking
            Well esentially yes... It supposed to be, but ive seen plenty XJ guys kill their superior axle 30s. But thats on some of the hardcore hammer trails.
            That's odd, most of the guys I know run D30's, even on the hammers.

Comment

You dont even need the 30 spline superior kit, unless you get stupid with the throttle. Upgrade the housing to a High Pinion D30 out of an 87-99(?) Jeep Cherokee. Install an ARB, gear ratio of your choice, and a warn hub conversion. CTM u-joints are optional. Alot of us run a very similar set up to what I just laid out. Its proven, strong and lightweight.

Now, If you lack finesse then I would suggest you upgrade the axle to a HP44 or something of that nature.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                That's odd, most of the guys I know run D30's, even on the hammers.
                I always here that people kill their superiors on the NAXJA fourms. They always talk about how the 30 isnt that great especially if your pushing anything bigger then 33s with it. but like Dukes said, if your cool with the throttle it shouldnt be a problem, i just figured that if i had the money id just do an HP 44 swap or bigger.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

whats the diffrence between the hp30 and my stock d30? how is it stronger?
                  And if I were to go with a hp44, what would it be out of?
                  Sorry for all the questions Im still learning......

Comment

Originally posted by BACKNBLACK
                    whats the diffrence between the hp30 and my stock d30? how is it stronger?
                    And if I were to go with a hp44, what would it be out of?
                    Sorry for all the questions Im still learning......
                    All TJ's came with Low Pinion D30's, Rubicons have LPD44's. LP gear sets, in a front application, run on the "coast" side of the gear. HP gears run on the "drive" side of the gear. Gear sets are made to run on the drive side, obviously. Everyone says that HP D30's are approx 33% stronger. I don't know how much truth there is to that number, but regardless they are stronger because the ring and pinion rides on the correct side of the gear.

That is the only difference between a LP30 and a HP30 strength wise.

South American Cherokees had HP D44's, but they are almost impossible to find. It would probably be better to have a custom one built.
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

hp44's were on ford bronco's of the 70's and 80's.

Comment

what about those bolt in axles from the 4 wheel drive catalog? also just curious about how strong dana 44s really are. A couple of guys in our club are running 44s with some 37s. Will 37s hold up pretty well with moderate abuse? I would love to fit some 37s on my TJ in the future, but dont know if its worth just putting 44s on it and not just getting some 60s built for me.
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

if your gonna do it id go 60s now, then no more worries later.

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                          what about those bolt in axles from the 4 wheel drive catalog? also just curious about how strong dana 44s really are. A couple of guys in our club are running 44s with some 37s. Will 37s hold up pretty well with moderate abuse? I would love to fit some 37s on my TJ in the future, but dont know if its worth just putting 44s on it and not just getting some 60s built for me.

Comment

Oh god...Dana60's.
                            Anybody know of anybody that's broken a D60?
                            A guy I know of was climbing a 40* incline, and couldn't get the rear axle up over a rock, slipped back, the rear axle spun realy fast in the air as the wheel came down, and upon impact the sudden slowage of the tire caused the axle to just...twist right in two. Of course he was running a 383 stroker with like 380-400 hp, and like 360-380lbs of torque.

other than that...I know guys that'll drive them for YEARS and beat the heck out of them and beyond..and just keep trucking...but that's the D60.
                            D44...I don't know really. They are stronger than a d30 of course, but the Dana30 axle is still pretty tough. I know a bunch of guys down here that will do a d44 rear axle conversion and keep their front 30's, and still run 35" tires.

You just can't hammer the throttle too much...finesse is the key ^.^
                            Just remember, a good trail is like an exquisite cuisine...meant to be savored, not guzzled down ^.^
                            Last edited by YJwonderboy; 11-27-06, 05:33 PM.
                            WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                            [_____]
                            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                            []--o---[]

Comment

I agree might as well go big the first time. This Jeep thing is addicting and I know I will always want to go bigger, at least be strong as hell. My TJ is my DD and dont think I would have the time to build them anytime soon. Is there any company out there that does moderate builds to Dana 60s and Ford 9inches? I mean I know about currie and Dynatrac, but I want a more affordable route.
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X