Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout Dana 44 rear

I have spotted a scout II 44 rear at the nearest pick n pull n overcharge me a :poop:load. 120.00 seems high to me, but I have a feeling that the # of 44s that are the right width are becoming more and more hard to find. Is this worth it?

Also what should be looking at to see if the axle is good, obviously I cant disasemble it in the junkyard. It looks straight, rusty, old and easy to swap in.

Are the spring perches in the right places for my YJ if I stay spring under?

Anyone know what years IH Scout used the 30 spline shafts vs. the 19 spline? This one is a 72.
    I have a Jeep

$120 seems high? Boy I hope somebody answers this because the guy here in 29 Palms is wanting to charge me $250 each for wagoneer front & rears. Maybe I'm getting screwed!

[muttering]didn't even take me to dinner, bastard![/muttering]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Price seems good! You figure the average price (around here) even at a pic and pull is 150$ each.
      Head nut at Outdoorlogic
      Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
      www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Yeah 250.oo seems high, There are 3 fronts up here in Monterey at pic n pay too much( it really makes me feel better to make up sarcastic names for pic n pull). the rears in the rigs are model 20s though.

Any one know spline counts?
        Would the Waggy front 44 be a good match? Are these really sufficient for 35" tires? Ive heard that the 8.8 is as strong or stronger.
        I have a Jeep

Comment

As far as strength goes I've got both Dana 44 and AMC 20 ring&pinions setting on my bench and the AMC 20 is a LOT beefier!!The down fall of the AMC 20 was the 2 piece axles in the CJ's,I believe the Waggy's are 1 piece axles.The tubes are smaller on a 20 too but can be beefed up.I think all of the Scout II Dana 44's are 30 spline.Heres a write up on swapping Scout II axles into a YJ http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/ihscout/ this is a soa article dealing with Scout axles front and rear but has some info on the Scout II rear that may help.$120. doesn't sound bad to me for that axle especially if the brake drums and backing plates are decent.
          "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Working...
          X