Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cv lube, can't get to that last ujoint...

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv lube, can't get to that last ujoint...

alright... I'm a stickler for squirtin' a little grease in everything once and awhile... but I can't seem to find a way to get my needle fitting anywhere near the ujoint closest to the output shaft. any thoughts?
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Not having seen your shaft (thankfully), I suspect it is very similar to the CV on my CJ. If the front u-joint is installed with the grease fitting toward the transfer case, you will never get a grease needle on it. The only option is to take the u-joint out and flip it around (at least that was the only option for me). Well, the other option is to take the shaft off every time you grease it!!! Not the best option. Can you see the grease fitting? Does it look like you could reach it if it were flipped around? By the way, we moved this thread to the short wheelbase section.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

i agree w/ rick on this one... the u joint was installed backwards. it will still do what a u joint is sopposed to do, but you just cant access the zerk fitting. i made the same mistake when i installed a u joint on my jeep.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

o.k., so the idea has been suggested that I get a new ujoint and drill the cap for a fitting. anyone know the ujoint size in the cv of a tom woods driveshaft? also, who wants to help me do this???
        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

i'm pretty sure it is a spicer 13-10.... spicer has a joint available that is already set up as you describe, with the zerk in the cap.
          i bought one at 4wheel parts.
          call tom woods to verify size.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

call tom wood and ask him his size!!!!
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I dug out my invoice, it's 1310s all the way around. Where's the best place to get one with the differant zerk fitting?

ooops, sorry eric, just read your post, 4wheel parts.
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Any drive shaft shop will sell spicer u joints. Tom Woods doesn't do anything special (you just pay more). Most everybody uses the same Spicer parts.
                1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  I dug out my invoice, it's 1310s all the way around. Where's the best place to get one with the differant zerk fitting?

ooops, sorry eric, just read your post, 4wheel parts.
                  I called 4 wheel parts a while ago and they said they dont carry Spicer u-joints. I got them from a local drive shaft place.

The front yoke on the axle is a 5-153X which has zerk fitting
                  The u-joints the the double cardan are 5-785X and are non-greaseable. I believe the 5-153x's and the 5-785x's are the same, except the 153x is servicable. I'm pretty you can replace the non greaseable one with greaseable ones, just get some angled zerks or something.

This is first hand info, I just got done rebuilding a front driveshaft for a TJ . It was making a Squeek Squeek, and I found the centyering ball to be totally dry and full of dirt. Took it all apart, WD-40'd it, and lubed it up with Hi-Temp wheel bearing grease (as per the driveshaft dude). Figured while I was in there, I might as well change the U-joints and keep the old ones as spares
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                  X