Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on rear-end gear swap

I have jeep for off road use.. I would like my 1995 YJ ( the on-road jeep)to be a little more street friendly. I have the 4.10 gears in now. I am willing to lose the 4x4 if I can find a gear swap for the rear. I would like to bring my RPMs at 55 mph down to less than 2 grand.
    Does anyone know of a rear-end that I could get to make this happen?
    --Jason

6 OR 4 cylinder? tire size?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

2.5L 31 x 10.5

Comment

you could do it by putting in 3.73 or 3.55 or 3.07 gears but you may end up with zero power. not sure, never owned a 4cyl.

My tach is @ 2.5K at highway speed (70) and that's a bit underpowered in hilly or windy conditions.

the Jeep is a rolling brick, you'll never get the gas milage you do from an economy car.

:2:
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

i dont recommend changing it. you are already under powered.
          4 bangers need the rpm's
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

My friend had a 98 TJ with 4 banger 31" tires with 4:56 gears and he was still down shifting on every grade. I would stay with the 4:10. You could do what my friend did trade it in for a Jeep with a 6 cylinder.

Comment

i had a 2.5 with a 5 spd, and the 4.10s sucked, no 5th on the freeway at all on 31's. I changed to 4.56's and it got lots better, 5th came back, if the hill was a long up grade still had to shift. But it was not as often. I changed my tires to 325/60/15 bfg t/a km has an od of 30.6 that also helped, but like everyone eles will say its hard to push a brick into the wind, may want to look into 4.88,s.
              The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

I don't recommend going with higher gears either, but if you do I will trade my d30 with 3.55's for your front d30 with 4.10's.

This way you can still have 4 wheel drive!

See what a nice guy I am? I will even swap axles for free if you drop it at my house.....

Comment

Working...
                X