Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with my detroit locker

the left side iss unlocking when going straight line down the road for no apparent reason. This iss happening only under acceleration, or even while just holding speed. Occasionally, our efforts were rewarded with a satisfyingly bone-jarring BAM! and a nice shift to the left manuever of the entire Jeep. Again, we have heard lots of quirks make these lockers interesting daily driver accessories.

this was took from http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/detroit_ezlocker.php

cuz that is exactly what mine is doing it is a brand new locker from summit racing its a dana 35 rearend DETROIT EZ LOCKER

2001 Jeep Wrangler

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS OF WHAT TO DO? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICIATED
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"][LEFT]2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0
    2 Inch Suspension, 3 Inch Body
    33 Inch Buckshot Maxxis Mudders
    on 15 Inch Pacer Sawblades 3 3/4" backspacing[/LEFT][/COLOR]

I have Detroits front and rear. They make all kinds of nasty noises, they bang and pop for no apparent reason. However, they have been doing this for a couple of years with no sign of distress.

They also torque steer a LOT. When you apply power steer right, when you come off the gas steer left (I think!!) You will find that you develop an automated response which keeps the Jeep in a straight line - sort of.

The good news is that you will never have to worry about replacing switches, valves, relays, lines, o-rings, blah, blah
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

As the story continues ...
      Originally posted by article
      Our first clue that something was really screwed was when we were climbing an obstacle and the left side would let loose and unlock. We have always heard that the most common problem with these is getting them to unlock, not with them unlocking under load (that kinda defeats the purpose of a locker, no?)
      MuddyJeep, is that happening to you at all? Or, has it started "unlocking" both axles at the same time while under acceleration? If so, then you probably have the same problem we did. How long have you been driving with the locker installed?
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
        As the story continues ...

MuddyJeep, is that happening to you at all? Or, has it started "unlocking" both axles at the same time while under acceleration? If so, then you probably have the same problem we did. How long have you been driving with the locker installed?
        Is this giving :wrench: advice??!?
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

lets see the first one i put about 60 miles on it and it starting doing that then i just put the new one in they sent me today and it is doing the same thing it hasnt started free spinning yet but ya it has done all of that i put

Comment

Hey, that was my Jeep! I can talk from first-hand experience I can't properly gauge what a "normal" locker should do though, just a broken one.

Comment

I am a big fan of detriots, have been in several vehicles, Yes they bang and make noise, we just kinda joke about it, they also give you torque steer and a few other oddities you need to get used to, but in the rear, I love them, always there, always on.
              I have never had one break for no reason, My experiance is they are rock solid, I once exploded one when I broke an axle, but a lot of lockers can give away under that mode. I think talking to detriot is a good thing, afterall if it gave for no reason, well that is a bit strange, a detriot should go 100,000 with no problems.
              censored for having an opinion

Comment

well i have called detroit and summit nobody can tell me y it is doing this i have been on the phone with them all during the week lol

Comment

do you think the bearings could be causing this ?

Comment

Make sure your tire pressure is the same in booth tires. If the tire pressure is diffeent it causes on wheel to spin faster wich will cause the locker to unload. Had the same problem till someone pointed that out to me.

Comment

Originally posted by locked94yj
                      Make sure your tire pressure is the same in booth tires. If the tire pressure is diffeent it causes on wheel to spin faster wich will cause the locker to unload. Had the same problem till someone pointed that out to me.
                      X2. I had no idea what was causing the jeep rear to float all over the road. Someone pointed out that my RR tire was a lot lower that the RL one. Making sure the tire pressure was equal fixed it. Now, I look at the tires first anytime it acts up.

Comment

Originally posted by locked94yj

my tire pressure is equal that was the first thing i checked

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyJeep01
                          my tire pressure is equal that was the first thing i checked
                          can you post up your solution?

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                            can you post up your solution?

sure can lol i ended up putting a stock case assem. back in i ordered it from 4wheelparts.com i had to put a new case in cuz the locker cracked my other one and no problems so far with the new gears and everything still really dont know y the detriot locker was doing what it was doing.

Comment

It is probably good to make the distinction here between the EZlocker and the softlocker. It seems like the problems have been with the ezlocker not the softlocker. There is a big difference. Anybody have troubles with the softlocker?
                              1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Working...
                              X