Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burn up/out a tranny? + 33s impact

I'm a new Jeeper, so bear with me. I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on for months and own an auto-trannied '00 TJ Sahara, 4.0L 6 inline, new 33" GoodYear M/T Rs ... just two days ago. I bought the "copper diablo" and the tires were failing the penny test! Instead of buying tires 2x, I went with the 33s BEFORE re-gearing anything since we're in major snow mode here in Chi-town.

Here are my Qs:
    1. With most trips non-highway and around 25 miles a day and an ave. temp of 25F, what are my chances of overheating my tranny? I was told to watch for the smell if i'm going throttle crazy from stops, etc.

2. Noticing the power lag now in overdrive, when stopped at a light before a hill, I shifted to 2nd gear and WOW! it was like the 30s were back! hehe I stopped throttling and moved back to overdrive before I reached 25mph. I know the TJ is not very throttle responsive cold (ie less than 4minutes idle time), so in the morning when its 10F out and I'm doing stop/go, I'm concerned about straining the drivetrain. First: Am I risking anything to my tranny/drivetrain if I do this occasionally when power is needed until I regear ? Second: Am I being too careful with this Jeep? I mean, I see what people do with stock Jeeps in mud and on rocks - and I'm worried about throttling 33s with stock gears in the cold? I need a new paradigm!

Thanks in advance for any tips, etc. I look forward to sharing what I do know with you all !
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class" ~Charles Dickens

how are you geared?

Youre probably fine, Chris ran his 33's with 3:73's before getting 4:56's. I have a Manual and run 33's with 3:73's I did notice a difference in power when I went from stock to 31's and then again from 31's to 33's.

More then likely, youll need to upgrade your gearing.

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I believe its the stock 3.73 in there.

Comment

Originally posted by copper_diablo
        I'm a new Jeeper, so bear with me. I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on for months and own an auto-trannied '00 TJ Sahara, 4.0L 6 inline, new 33" GoodYear M/T Rs ... just two days ago. I bought the "copper diablo" and the tires were failing the penny test! Instead of buying tires 2x, I went with the 33s BEFORE re-gearing anything since we're in major snow mode here in Chi-town.
        Welcome to MJR

Here are my Qs:
        1. With most trips non-highway and around 25 miles a day and an ave. temp of 25F, what are my chances of overheating my tranny? I was told to watch for the smell if i'm going throttle crazy from stops, etc.
        You'll probably be hard pressed to do that.

2. Noticing the power lag now in overdrive, when stopped at a light before a hill, I shifted to 2nd gear and WOW! it was like the 30s were back! hehe I stopped throttling and moved back to overdrive before I reached 25mph. I know the TJ is not very throttle responsive cold (ie less than 4minutes idle time), so in the morning when its 10F out and I'm doing stop/go, I'm concerned about straining the drivetrain. First: Am I risking anything to my tranny/drivetrain if I do this occasionally when power is needed until I regear ? Second: Am I being too careful with this Jeep? I mean, I see what people do with stock Jeeps in mud and on rocks - and I'm worried about throttling 33s with stock gears in the cold? I need a new paradigm!
        You dont have an overdrive. You have a 3 speed auto and the 3rd gear is a 1:1. Dont worry about the tranny. The Chrysler 727/904/999 tranny's are practically bullet proof. Yes you are being too much of a wuss about it. The auto tranny is more forgiving when it comes to tire changes.

Thanks in advance for any tips, etc. I look forward to sharing what I do know with you all !
        On a side note, 10 degrees is too damn cold! Sheesh!
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

You should be fine. I have a friend that's running 33's with 3.07's and the only problem he's had out of the tranny was when he got in some deep water and it got in his tranny.

And no Dukes, 10 degrees isn't that cold.....thats still warm compared to what it is with the wind chill
          04 Rubicon
          4.5" RE Super Flex
          1" BL
          CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
          Currie Anti-rock swaybar
          35" el cheapos
          Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

I agree with Dukes....B.J.

PS: If you need a little more power do a gear change.

Comment

thanks to all for the info and welcomes!

Comment

Working...
              X