Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.88's

I am getting ready to start putting together a hp30, warn hub convertion, warn inner axles, the good stuff... Several of you guys have said this stuff works pretty well and I want the strengh and the gground clearance.

My question is what is the general thoughts/ experiance on 4.88 gears? Gas milage loss?, maybe staying 5th a little longer on highway inclines? A little xtra juice on hill climbs or rock crawls?
    That's a BIG rock!

I'm running 4.88 with Warn and 35's. I have a 60 high pinion front.

Only problems I hear is when you put the 4.88 in anything smaller then 44, they tend to break.

Freeway, when speedo says 70 I'm doing about 60-65, up hill climbs are agony. Lost a little gas milage ( installed 26 gallon tank to make up difference)

Cant comment on stock trasfer case andd offroad performace, I'm running an Atlas and will probably change out the gearing this summer to 6:1 gears.
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

Comment

I know of many 4.88's in D30's high and low pinions that haven't had any problems. Thats what I run, same with Nailer. Kicks ass on hills, rocks, etc. Gas milage is so/so, but its a Jeep!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
        I'm running 4.88 with Warn and 35's. I have a 60 high pinion front.

Only problems I hear is when you put the 4.88 in anything smaller then 44, they tend to break.

Freeway, when speedo says 70 I'm doing about 60-65, up hill climbs are agony. Lost a little gas milage ( installed 26 gallon tank to make up difference)

Cant comment on stock trasfer case andd offroad performace, I'm running an Atlas and will probably change out the gearing this summer to 6:1 gears.
        which atlas do you have now???
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

The pinion gear does start to get kinda small with the 4.88's, but I rarely hear about anyone having problems with them unless they are running high HP motors and are racing (sand dunes, mud pits, etc).
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
            which atlas do you have now???
            Current 3:1 mistake (6:1) change to 5:0:1 if current case allows gearing change , if not I'll change the case out. Did not build jeep for the purpose of rock climbing but now I like to do just that. I dont know how that smiley got in here.
            Last edited by Dukes69; 12-05-05, 03:21 PM.
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Current 3:1 mistake (6:1) change to 5:0:1 if current case allows gearing change , if not I'll change the case out. Did not build jeep for the purpose of rock climbing but now I like to do just that. I dont know how that smiley got in here.
              I know someone who wants a 3.8:1 that may be willing to trade a 4.3:1.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                I know someone who wants a 3.8:1 that may be willing to trade a 4.3:1.
                Maybe interested. I'm going to get a chance to do a 5:0:1 next week. I need to see how it feels throug the gears. If 5's way to low I'll may change to 4:3:1 but wont happen to next summer.
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                  The pinion gear does start to get kinda small with the 4.88's, but I rarely hear about anyone having problems with them unless they are running high HP motors and are racing (sand dunes, mud pits, etc).
                  Agree but with the larger tires and stronger axels and mix with a hill of sand...........seen them go or the transefer case
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                    I know of many 4.88's in D30's high and low pinions that haven't had any problems. Thats what I run, same with Nailer. Kicks ass on hills, rocks, etc. Gas milage is so/so, but its a Jeep!
                    Dukes69,
                    I too know of many running 48's some with and some without problems.

I would assume your running 35's and 48 is a good match upper side of transfer. But to say they kick ass on rocks? They match your tire size without regearing your tranny.

I do know of some shops which wont put 48's in a D30 for the reason of the ring gear breaking. I've seen them break when coming out of soft tire spinning stuff to grab it and go material. Why do most people put 48 into a D30...budget. Theres a lot of work and money changing out to 44 or above.

Granted it may not break with someone knowing its limits such as you and Nailer but there is a chance it will break. And thats the worst break that can happen on a trail. I have busted enough axels, pinions and transfer cases to know when to upgrade (Which I can finally can pay for).

There should be another thread for the young builders, pros and cons , budget build to blow your money build and even protecting your rig from spills. I read the threads from Nailer and there is great info...needs to be put together...

Now I need to e-mail Jeri Lyn to find out where she got her front fenders done!
                    Last edited by sarah; 12-05-05, 09:53 PM.
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

Dukes69,

I would assume your running 35's and 4.88 is a good match upper side of transfer. But to say they kick ass on rocks? They match your tire size without regearing your tranny.

Granted it may not break with someone knowing its limits such as you and Nailer but there is a chance it will break. And thats the worst break that can happen on a trail. I have busted enough axels, pinions and transfer cases to know when to upgrade (Which I can finally can pay for).
                      I have 35's, 4.88's and an Auto, so yes they kick ass on the rocks.

Most of us drive fairly consertively, and always in the rocks . . . big ones too. The fuse on most of our rigs is the small hub, which, when it pops, is easily replaced.

Maybe if you run in mud, sand and garbage (high RPM/wheel speed) then the 4.88's might be weak. But who runs that? :dunno:
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                        I have 35's, 4.88's and an Auto, so yes they kick ass on the rocks.

Most of us drive fairly consertively, and always in the rocks . . . big ones too. The fuse on most of our rigs is the small hub, which, when it pops, is easily replaced.

Maybe if you run in mud, sand and garbage (high RPM/wheel speed) then the 4.88's might be weak. But who runs that? :dunno:

Agree but in California there is sand and some places deep
                        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                        WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by dukes69
                          Thanks for the replys... I have to agree with Chris.

I tend to run in the rocks and I was looking more for experiance in that area. I used to run a 360 powered CJ in the mud back in Illinios so I understand the differance.

I think I will be putting together the HP30 with the 4.88"s and the warn hubs!!!:thumbs_up
                          Last edited by sarah; 12-07-05, 09:24 AM.
                          That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
                            I tend to run in the rocks and I was looking more for experiance in that area. I used to run a 360 powered CJ in the mud back in Illinios so I understand the differance.

I think I will be putting together the HP30 with the 4.88"s and the warn hubs!!!:thumbs_up
                            I used the Yukon axle assemblies in my D30 for a while and broke 3 or 4. Then I switched to the Superior Evolution Chromoly shafts and Ox U/Js. They were about 3 times as expensive but I haven't broken one yet :yay:
                            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

4.88's

i have a tj with the 4.0 with 35" tires with 4.88 gears and it was great until 3 nights ago when my ring blew apart in my d30 coming out of somthing really lame.. stupid little rock. and then after much research i found that it isnt uncommon. i want to upgrade to somthing better what would you all sugesst. i have the super 30 and the super 35 kits in my jeep

Comment

Working...
                              X