Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Transfer case for a YJ

I have an 89 YJ converted to a 4.0 looking to swap out the trans and the transfer case. It is a NP231 but everything on it is weak. I was just gonna throw a new NP231 in it but I was looking at the Atlas also. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Come on guys... No one has any suggestions... What are you guys running in your Jeeps...

Comment

I'll bite, My freinds father owns a 4x4 shop, he is building a ground up MB resto, he is putting in a NP231, I asked him why? He has the choice of anything he wants.
      His reply was that it has the best aftermarket support of any case out there.
      I think he hit the nail on the head with that statement.
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

what trans?

what type of use will the Jeep see?

is money an issue?
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Right now the AX-15, but looking into an NV4500. The Jeep sees more and more off road as it becomes better equiped. Not an everyday driver, but could be if I wanted to. Money is not an issue to a point. I am someone who likes to do things right the first time so if it's a little more money it's well worth it. Thanks.

Comment

What type of terrain? If you're sticking with a stick (if so, good boy, auto's are for sissies and wannabe comp bunnies ), there are lots of choices.

Pick a tire size, determine your gearing from that. Pick axles to work with that gearing and tire size. LOTS of choices for your rig. Crawly transmissions like the NP435, SM420 are all adaptable - but have no 5th gear OD and shift like truck transmissions.

You have to plan for things like overall driveline length, and especially watch for getting too short on the rear shaft if you're extending and compressing it a lot - like rockcrawling. Mine currently has an AX-15/NP231 with a SYE - and the rear shaft is only 15-1/2" because of the pinion on the rear 60. On the workbench in the garage is a t-176/Klune/NP205 - which will go in this year (I hope!) - and it's within 1/8" of the same length as what I have now. I'd rather run the NP435 transmission - but the additional 2" with adaptor to mate it to the Klune would necessitate shoving the engine forward 2" - which isn't in the cards right now.

Point being - look at the whole picture.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

if you play in the rocks, i like the atlas, or the stak. bothe are well made cases with bling factor. if you arent in a hurry... hold out for the 4 speed atlas. it goes down to 10:1!!!
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Rocks! I wanna crawl over rocks. And I def want a stick... I hate automatics. I have a D35 (stock) in the rear right now but am looking to upgrade that as well. Running it with a NP231. Center to center my rear shaft is 14 3/4" right now. I def want to be able to run my Jeep on the road so I don't want to get away from that too much. Thanks.

Comment

the higher end transfer cases are streetable as well. i have the atlas 5.0, and have been very happy with it. i drive the jeep to and from the trails. right up to and including 5+ trails

if i were buying one today, i would look at the stak, or hold out for the 4speed atlas. i just want to try one
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

autos are better on the rocks
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                      ... hold out for the 4 speed atlas. it goes down to 10:1!!!
                      where the hell did you hear this?!?!?! man I want one of those. :yay: :cactus:
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Atlas 4 Sp

Here is the link to the info. http://www.advanceadapters.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X