Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny gear oil everywhere

I got back from Big Bear last weekend, and about 3/4 of the way home, I noticed the smell of gear oil, I didnt realize it was me !!

So I got home and noticed a butt load of oil on the skid plate and thrown all over the place under neath. I sprayed it down with engine cleaner and washed it down....for the life of me I cant figure out where all the oil came from, I checked the tranny and it is full, however I did notice the boot cover was off on the shift tower.

I have never heard of a manual tranny spewing oil like this....

Anyone?

it's possible that if it was overfilled (tranny) and you did some steep hill climbs or offf camber stuff, you leaked fluid out of the breather hole (I don't think there's a tube???:confused: ).

did you check your transfer case fluid level???

how's that front axle workin' out???
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Hey Brian, Front axle is working great, thanks! We didnt do any off camber or climbing activities, Im thinking maybe it was slightly over filled, and do to the new lower gears, I was running at too high an RPM forced some juice out!!

I havent cheked the Transfer yet, fricken allen wrench is a metric, so I need to go buy something that will fit the plug.

BTW there are two relief type valves in the tranny.

Argh!!

Comment

I had a leak like this but I found out it was a seal next to the speedo on the transfer case. I took it to T&J Performance 3 different times and they couldn't figure it out. The leak started after they had installed my slip yoke elinator. After the third complaint and trip back to the shop, it finally stopped when they replaced that seal next to the speedo. It has not been a problem since the repair. Check it out.

Rock

Comment

Thanks Rock,

question: Did it leak whenever you drove it? Mine hasnt leaked since that one time, I guess thats why its so weird.

Comment

I can't believe I forgot about this...

sometimes the seal for the rear output yoke of the transfer case leaks. it spins fluid all over the rear undercarrage. check to see if the yoke nut has oil on it, if this is the case you may half to remove the yoke and apply rtv to the splines to reseal it. sometimes it happens for awhile and just goes away. two years ago in moab this happend to John on the trail, and then later the leak disappeared. go figure.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
            X