Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by codybttu
    I think I made a wrong, correct that, I know I made a wrong choice with the engine selection. I only have a 4 cylndr in the Jeep. I am stuck on 33's if possible, just not sure if feasible. I guess I do need to give some attn to the the axle(s) gearing as I do have the stock 35 rear and I guess 30 in the front. If I was to drop a 6 cylnder in would i still need to address axle gearing issues?
    PS. Thanks for the help!
    Don't give up yet, the other day I saw a 4 cyl YJ kicking ASS on the rocks.

I don't know the exact spec but here's the important stuff.

SOA = 6" lift

Body lift = 2"

Springs = 2"

4.88 gears

Lockers

Tera Low

33" rubber

This rig was built light: no bumpers, winch, tools, spare axles, or anything.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Erik, thanks a Million. This is what I needed. R and D down to a short List and very much appreciated. If I can ever return favor let me know!

codyb
      [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][COLOR="Black"][COLOR="black"]codyb[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Comment

THE NANA!

Thanks, I will definitly be looking into your suggestion. Sound very valid and do-able.

Rock On!

Comment

Oh yeah....he had the Dana 35 and 30 with chromoly bits.

I prefer the 6 cyl ('cos I got one) but I have to say he built a great rig for the lowest $

Comment

Out!

Comment

THE NANA!

Thanks, I will definitly be looking into your suggestion. Sound very valid and do-able.

Rock On!
              it wont work for your TJ though... soa is for yj's
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Out!
                it looks like CodyB had to go....but we can carry on the discussion :beer: :wrench: :beer: :wrench: :pizza: :tp: :yay:

Comment

i do find it interesting how the two people telling cody how to build his tj dont even have one.
                  square headlights rule
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

wonder if I should pipe in, I know a small amount about 4 banger jeeps
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
                      wonder if I should pipe in, I know a small amount about 4 banger jeeps
                      That's OK, I think Eric and I have it covered

Comment

How about some tips from some one running exactly what you want
                        I have a 98 fourbanger, on 33s
                        I have a RE Superflex 3.5 inch lift, It works out perfect for 33s, it does'nt rub but its very close (Perfect) In addition to the 3.5 superflex lift the only adjustable control arms I got are for the back, to bring up my pinion angle for my SYE. You may or may not want/need them for the front, I ran with out re-gearing for about a year, Its ok, well more like you get used to it and you think its ok, But I have 4.88s now and its alot better, 75mph cruising is usually no problem, even with the A/C on. Definatley will want to do somthing about the rear end, Seen way to many dana 35s break including mine, I choose the Super 35 kit with the detroit locker, I felt this was the easiest route to take, and it would be free to install with gears Since they would just replace the parts the take out anyways. And I then put a quik Loc in the front, and then put a tera 2 lo kit in to make tight up hill turns easier, since we dont have much torque in the four banger in 2 hi you would stall. Another thing you would probably want to add to your lift is an adjustable front Track bar. The directions for the lift will tell you to drill a whole in the bracket to re-locate the stock one but what happens is that circle whole you drill becomes an oval, and then your track bar bolt wont stay tight, and then you get death wobble all the time. If you play in the rocks, I would recommend steel wheels you can hammer out dents you put in them, I had aluminum wheel at first but destroyed them, much happy with my steelies, and my hammer Tires are up to you and what where you wheelie, I had Pro Comp Mud terrians, they were ok, Tore a sidewall and they seemed to where fast, Im happier with my Goodyear Wrangler MTR's they seem to ride better, and hold up much better, the Pro Comps Chunked really easy.
                        I think that covers most everything! Im pretty happy personally with my setup, I had winch but had to sell it to pay for some bills But the only thing Really left on my want list is the Currie Anti Rock.
                        Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

Originally posted by skates04
                          How about some tips from some one running exactly what you want
                          I have a 98 fourbanger, on 33s
                          I have a RE Superflex 3.5 inch lift, It works out perfect for 33s, it does'nt rub but its very close (Perfect) In addition to the 3.5 superflex lift the only adjustable control arms I got are for the back, to bring up my pinion angle for my SYE. You may or may not want/need them for the front, I ran with out re-gearing for about a year, Its ok, well more like you get used to it and you think its ok, But I have 4.88s now and its alot better, 75mph cruising is usually no problem, even with the A/C on. Definatley will want to do somthing about the rear end, Seen way to many dana 35s break including mine, I choose the Super 35 kit with the detroit locker, I felt this was the easiest route to take, and it would be free to install with gears Since they would just replace the parts the take out anyways. And I then put a quik Loc in the front, and then put a tera 2 lo kit in to make tight up hill turns easier, since we dont have much torque in the four banger in 2 hi you would stall. Another thing you would probably want to add to your lift is an adjustable front Track bar. The directions for the lift will tell you to drill a whole in the bracket to re-locate the stock one but what happens is that circle whole you drill becomes an oval, and then your track bar bolt wont stay tight, and then you get death wobble all the time. If you play in the rocks, I would recommend steel wheels you can hammer out dents you put in them, I had aluminum wheel at first but destroyed them, much happy with my steelies, and my hammer Tires are up to you and what where you wheelie, I had Pro Comp Mud terrians, they were ok, Tore a sidewall and they seemed to where fast, Im happier with my Goodyear Wrangler MTR's they seem to ride better, and hold up much better, the Pro Comps Chunked really easy.
                          I think that covers most everything! Im pretty happy personally with my setup, I had winch but had to sell it to pay for some bills But the only thing Really left on my want list is the Currie Anti Rock.
                          --
                          Sounds like you can speak from experience! Will definity keep your input in mind when upgrading. I think I need to do gears first. Anyone see anything wrong with this first?

:thumbs_up :thumbs_do

Comment

You should be OK regearing first if your running a 31 inch tire, if your running a 30 inch tire it would put your RPMS at 65mph at about 3500 this is a bit high since 3000 is probably where you will want to be your gas mileage will suck, But you definately would fly up the hills!

Comment

--
                              Sounds like you can speak from experience! Will definity keep your input in mind when upgrading. I think I need to do gears first. Anyone see anything wrong with this first?

:thumbs_up :thumbs_do
                              While you've got the axles all opened up you might as well install lockers, which should be sized for 30 spline axle shafts, which means you will need the super 35 kit....:yay:

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                                While you've got the axles all opened up you might as well install lockers, which should be sized for 30 spline axle shafts, which means you will need the super 35 kit....:yay:
                                I agree, Otherwise your going to pay to have the same work done twice, and not to mention you'll kick your self in the arse when you snap an axle, The lower gears are going to make snapping axles that much easier!

Comment

Working...
                                X