Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting worse... please help...

Alrighty then... a while back I posted a problem I am having.... sometimes my Jeep runs like shit.... when you give it gas it damn near dies, like its flooding out or starving itself, but it only does this for a split second, then runs decent but like its missing. Does this each time you shift or let off the gas and then give it gas again. It doesnt do this evey day, sometimes it justs starts at a light, or after you shut it off and start it few minutes later. To fix the problem I found if you mash the gas it sometimes fixes it(found this out after getting pissed....), or if you just let it be and drive steadily it sometimes fixes the problem after a while.

Lately if has been doing this also... idles at like 2k!!! Even when its running fine its idling at 2k. And in the past couple weeks these problems have been atleast once a day...

Well I tried sea-foam, I have tried using water eliminators, I have tried different brands/octanes of gas, I sprayed the piss outta the throttle body with WD40 and cleaner thining maybe something was getting stuck.... the only thing that seemed to help was the sea-foam.... its still idles high, but It hasnt almost killed since I put it in... untill today....

... I was driving and hit a moderate bump, enough to make shit bounce real good, it instanly started running funny and hesitating, but about a block down th road it was fine again. So that leaves me to think maybe something is getting worn out or loose and is getting knocked around causing this problem....

... so possibly fuel pump gears going out? Maybe throttle position switch getting bad? Anyone have ideas?

One more thing, sometimes when you start it it barely starts, gotta hold th gas to the floor or it wont start, and then it chugs real bad like its cammed to beat hell and slowly clibs in R's untill it levels off at about 2k. It then runs like crap when this happens to... every time it happens it runs like crap.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

I had some similar problems awhile back. thought it was a tps. turned out to be a nearly dead battery.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
      I had some similar problems awhile back. thought it was a tps. turned out to be a nearly dead battery.
      Well I know its not that... I borrowed my roomates car one night and he took the Jeep.... well he listened to the radio too long without it running and killed the battery. Ended up having to get a new one cuz it wouldnt hold a charge at all. And this problem has was still hapenening with the old battery too....

Thanx though...
      Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

For the stalling issue, try starting your jeep and letting it idle. Then get a hammer or 2x4 or something like that and hit the bottom of the gas tank skid plate real hard. See if that makes the engine splutter. If so it means your fuel pump is going bad. That seems to meet the description of what you are describing.

Second, check the engine codes and see if there is a code that says if there is a problem.

Lastly, mine occasionally does that high idle thing. I do not know the cause but it seems to only happen about 2 times per month, so I am not worried about it. It used to be worse.
        92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Auto Zone

I would try checking your codes, My wifes 98 Grand Cherokee was doing the same thing, found out it was the shift control sensor thingy. I found out after a month of the problem, I went to my local Auto Zone Parts Store, and rented a code reader, and then they refunded my deposit, so it was free!!!! They rent alot of tools and other stuff like that, put a deposit and get it back when your done... they also told me to keep it as long as I wanted,, I said really, he said yes, just keep the deposit reciept to get your money back when your done..
          :wrench:

Comment

Just thought I would update on this for future reference to everyone... I thouht i solved this problem after I ran Sea-Foam through a tank of gas. It ran fine for quite a long time, almost a year. But recently it has been acting up again, I ran another can through but it didn't help at all. Got to the point it ran like this everytime I went somewhere... well needless to say I got pissed and took a ratchet and was going to start hitting things untill it stopped haha... I started at the fuel pressure regulator, tapped it a couple times, and it instantly started running right. So the problem was a stuck/clogged regulator. It was flooding itself out. Easy fix though.
            Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

same problem

This sounds alot like the problem I have been battleing with my Jeep for 3 years now (maybe a little longer).

We started off with the cat, tookit out completely for a bit, no difference, did a full tune up (cap, rotor, pluds, wires, air and fuel filter) - helped a little.

I found a little valve (not the pcv) off the valve cover that was clogged, cleaned it out, ran awesome for a year.

Started doing it again, checke that little valve out, clean and clear, my brother in law had the same problem on his wife's cherokee, it turned out to be the distributor, so I changed it out, no change...

Thought it was the TPS, no codes present.....

It is real bad now!! I will go beat the heck out of the fuel pressure regulator next....LOL I thought fuel pump for awile too, but I never heard of a fuel pump "going bad" for over 3 years..... It does act like a fuel problem though........hhhhmm regulator........hhhmmmm Thanks!!
              Independent Amsoil Dealer

SEMA Member
              SEMA PRO Council Member

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin92 View Post
                Just thought I would update on this for future reference to everyone... I thouht i solved this problem after I ran Sea-Foam through a tank of gas. It ran fine for quite a long time, almost a year. But recently it has been acting up again, I ran another can through but it didn't help at all. Got to the point it ran like this everytime I went somewhere... well needless to say I got pissed and took a ratchet and was going to start hitting things untill it stopped haha... I started at the fuel pressure regulator, tapped it a couple times, and it instantly started running right. So the problem was a stuck/clogged regulator. It was flooding itself out. Easy fix though.
                Thanks for posting the fix. Something to learn from.

Bob
                "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                (Charles Wells)

Comment

Working...
                X