Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Air Boxes Worth While??

I was speaking with a guy that I work with, and he swears up and down that it is totally worth installing an air box on my 98 TJ, however I have my doubts.

Has anyone installed one themselves and actually seen/felt real results?

What are people's opinions on air boxes? are they worth the cash, or just a bunch of hype??
    98 TJ 4.0 - 2" PORC budget lift - 31s

define an air box? My 98 TJ came stock with an airbox, so I'm pretty sure you are talking about something different
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMachine
      I was speaking with a guy that I work with, and he swears up and down that it is totally worth installing an air box on my 98 TJ, however I have my doubts.

Has anyone installed one themselves and actually seen/felt real results?

What are people's opinions on air boxes? are they worth the cash, or just a bunch of hype??
      If you're talking about the "turbo tubes" that replace the airbox, just about worthless IMHO as far as performance goes.
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I'm talking about a K&N filter system or a AEM intake. Air box i.e. air intake or cold air intake.

IMO they do some, but aren't really worth the cash, but regardless I was curious as to other opinions.
        98 TJ 4.0 - 2" PORC budget lift - 31s

Comment

I ditched the Airaid intake that come with my jeep in favor of a stock one. I saw no loss of power. The only difference is that I hear less intake noise.
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Worse than worthless

Not for jeeps.
            Plus, the K&N version lets too much dust through for offroad.

Stick with your stocker. Get a WIX or AC Delco element as they perform the best. Plus it was designed for deep water crossings.

If you want more data write Jerry Bransford for his links, or do a search at jeepforum.com for lots of threads on the subject.

Comment

The main problem with the open element fiters are sucking in hot air. Don't get anything that doesn't have a good heat shield separating the filter area from the rest of the engine compartment ... otherwise, you might actually see much more degradation in performance when the engine is hot than anything else.

Otherwise, I also agree that the K&N lets too much dust in. I have it on my blazer and after driving some dirt roads, I usually notice a buildup of dust inside the air tubes after the fitler... more than the stock filter. But on the blazer, the K&N did make a noticable difference in throttle responce... and sounds much better. HP/torque wise, gains were minimal ... but it just feels better mainly because of the noise and the slight increase in responsiveness to the throttle.
              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

I have the turbo city intake. Minor performance difference, overall seat of the pants equates out to "so what." but it did clear of a spot for my arb compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by mparker
                  I have the turbo city intake. Minor performance difference, overall seat of the pants equates out to "so what." but it did clear of a spot for my arb compressor.
                  We also went with the Turbo City intake. Saw an improvement with local gas mileage, but you got to remember to clean the air filter. My husband also wanted to clear a spot for oba compressor.
                  1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                  Glad to be back in California!

Comment

i have thought about doinf this but instead i took the horn looking piece off the front of the factory airbox and not only does it sound like an intake but i notice more power at the top of the RPM range and in the top of first and second gear when offroading

Comment

i got a K&N filter on my jeep and i took the horn piece off my stock airbox....it sounds like a true air intake and i get way better flow than a foam replacement or a paper replacement....as far as using a K&N offroad they are way better than replacement filters cause u can clean them when the day is over and not have to spend money on a new one.....in my opinion they are the best filters ever made as long as u normally maintain them with the required cleanings that they need

Comment

Originally posted by sikjeep99
                        i got a K&N filter on my jeep and i took the horn piece off my stock airbox....it sounds like a true air intake and i get way better flow than a foam replacement or a paper replacement....as far as using a K&N offroad they are way better than replacement filters cause u can clean them when the day is over and not have to spend money on a new one.....in my opinion they are the best filters ever made as long as u normally maintain them with the required cleanings that they need
                        Even with normal maitnence they let fine dirt by. If you want to believe their garbage, that is fine. A paper filter, on the other hand, works just fine. K&N spells Crap
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                          Even with normal maitnence they let fine dirt by. If you want to believe their garbage, that is fine. A paper filter, on the other hand, works just fine. K&N spells Crap
                          X2.
                          Been there done that.

Comment

so wats ur point a paper filter lets fine dirt as well and they reduce air flow

Comment

Perhaps this will help explain things....

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Oh, and by the way, your little 6banger needs a fraction of the air volume and velocity of a duramax diesel engine like the one used in the tests.
                              The stock paper filter and airbox supplies all the air your engine needs. The guys that say they are getting a performance boost are dreaming. I think it's called the placebo affect.

You will acutally get a performance and longevity gain by switching to synthetic lubricants. That is if you keep your vehicle long enough to exerpience the benefits.

Comment

Working...
                              X