Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not all tests are done with the piece of shit duramax diesel... look up test results for the jeep wrangler with the 6 cylinder ...it has improved air flow over the stock paper element...any K&N will have higher airflow over a stock paper element.

Comment

Yeah, they flow more. But they do it by letting garbage into your engine. So its either going to be nominal perfomance gains and dirt in your engine. Or stock performance and no dirt.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

All right, boys, get along or I'll turn this car right around.
        Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Read, and pay attention!

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Ge...ews_ID=126&sm=
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Thanks, Chris. There are other reports out there as well.

Best case scenario is that the filter is re-usable. Worst case is that it prematurely wears out your engine, or creates some other failure in your engine.

The k&N filter was developed for racing applications, originaly drag racing I think, as opposed to what the article says. I'm not sure about the motocross part, but could be. Anyway, for drag racing, that application is a very short term use period in an engine requiring maximum airflow, in a very clean environment (for the most part) and the motor gets rebuilt after every run anyway.

Same with other racing applications - a high performance motor gets a limited run in a competetive event and is then rebuilt.

If there is still debate on this issue, then the person that feels they warrant use in their jeep need only do further research online, thru other jeep fourms, and to look to the veteran jeepers around the country. Stu Olson is a good example. He has written quite a bit about using a K&N in extremely dusty applications. He recommends a pre-filter sock over a cone filter. Once that's covered with dust, how much better is the airflow as compared to a stock paper element.

I ran one in my last jeep for about a year before it was stolen. I experienced, as many have reported, upon removing the filter the intake plenum has a fine dust coating on it. That's just what stuck to the intake plumbing, and does not indicate what has already passed thru the motor.

You will probably not experience catastrophic failure for running this type of filter. Rather over a long period of time the rings and valve guides in your motor will wear more rapidly, resulting in premature, excessive oil consumtion. This is something most people do not become aware of since the average vehicle is traded off every 4 years or so.

The factory airbox design and filter area is of sufficient size for the volume of air required for the 4.0 liter jeep motor. Increasing the flow capacity by changing the box or the filter medium will do virtually nothing to the volume of air the motor needs for maximum power.

Frankly, there is probably more resistance at the other end, the exhaust system. But changing the catalytic converter to something that flows better, or the muffler and piping, generally only provides very mild improvements in performance at very high ripms, like over 4 grand. Who needs that in a jeep? I hardly ever run mine over 3000rpms, so I can't see the cost benefit of such a modification. Plus, loud mufflers are just tacky for recreational offroad use. Unless you're a racer, keeping your rig quiet helps insure we'll all continue to have access to offroading areas.

It seems that a lot of people are anamored by the advertising and big claims for these products. Without a scientific way to make a valid comparison they just assume they are getting a benefit.

Frankly, with all that has been written about the subject elsewhere it seems a bit redundant to go over and over it here. But alas, we still have some hold outs that insist there's some magic product to transform their jeep motor.

Comment

K&N was origanlly devolped by two brothers that wanted a better air filter for there dirt bikes when they were racing

Comment

Wow, I was concidering using a K&N filter on my jeep. Now I will never concider it agian, I'd rather have a clean engine than a bit more airflow.
                I have a Jeep

Comment

Working...
                X