Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pinion axle ?...

I have an axle question...Are the high pinion Dana 30 axles interchangable with the low pinion Dana 30 from the TJ's? I know the whole assembly is swappable from a Cherokee to a TJ, but if the axles from the high pinion work I will be carrying them as spares on the Rubicon.
    That's a BIG rock!

the only thing i can think of is the unit bearing assembly may be different, or it may not be. don't know. :yay:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

they'll work- my XJ HP30 came with 260x u-jointed axles, which i replaced with 297x axles out of a TJ with no issues. direct replacement. :yay:

Comment

The 297 joints pressed right in ?
        That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
          yeah, kinda. they are all pressed in. the 297 u-joints have been replaced with the stronger 760's. Some XJ's have the larger u-joint shafts, but I cant remember which ones. If you find a housing, bare or not, just regear w/ your locker/gear of you choice and use all your TJ axles, knuckles, unit bearings, etc.

There are 2 different HP D30's. Ones w/ the disconnect and ones without. Both will take your TJ stuff, but the one w/ the disco will need a special seal to run a one piece passenger side shaft. The way to tell the difference is if you look pn the passenger side axle tube, you will see a huge chunk of cast steel in the center of the tube. Thats for the disconnect deal. The non disco is straight across like your TJ. The non disco ones came in XJ's with the 242 full time t-case up to about 92 or so then they only used the non disco version.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

If you are asking do the 297 u-joints press into the 260 style shafts, the anwser is no.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

It's the non-disco..., but can I pull these axles out and use them as spares?
              That's a BIG rock!

Comment

You can use them as spares but they have the 260 u joint which is not as good as the 297 or 760. You cannot change them to the stronger.
                1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Just use your spares that you already have . . . you do have spares, dont you?
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                  X