Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-case removal help

Well, this weekend i snapped the main housing on my t-case along with a bunch of other various parts. So needless to say I am replacing the damn thing...here's the question though: I have read numerous how-to's on removing the t-case and some same you have to drop the tranny, others say to brace the tranny and use a floor jack under the t-case to lower it out. What's the word on this? Should I pull the whole tranny, cuz that seems like WAY too much work for a t-case removal. Or should I go with the bracing the tranny and lowering the t-case out? Let me know what you think and if you have a link to a great how-to on this that would of course rock!

-C

Ive never removed my trans in the YJ. Brace, drain, unbolt!
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

How I did it. Disconnect both driveshafts . Stick a jackstand under the tranny another under the t-case at the output shaft (if u can) . Remove the skidplate making sure your jackstands are supporting the tranny and t-case. Loosen the bolts mounting the t-case I believe they're 9/16. And what I did was get underneath the t-case with a creeper next to me, wiggled/slid the t-case off the tranny and supporting it like I'm benching it, then placed it on the creeper. I'd recomend you find a friend with equal or more car knowledge to help though.
      EDIT: Oh yeah, drain it first.
      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Well draining it won't be a problem, I broke the main housing completely when i trashed the passenger leaf and shock the axle twisted...

That's how I was thinking of doing it, brace the tranny and use a floor jack to support the t-case and slide it out on the jack. Thanks for the input, i'll go get to work.

Comment

You going to replace it with an atlas???? :thumbs_up

Comment

Originally posted by hypewerx
            Well draining it won't be a problem, I broke the main housing completely when i trashed the passenger leaf and shock the axle twisted...

That's how I was thinking of doing it, brace the tranny and use a floor jack to support the t-case and slide it out on the jack. Thanks for the input, i'll go get to work.
            I just replaced mine last week.Iused a floor jack under the tranny and after I dropped the cross member you can then lower it slitely to get to those upper bolts.
            95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

Originally posted by scubatch
              I just replaced mine last week.Iused a floor jack under the tranny and after I dropped the cross member you can then lower it slitely to get to those upper bolts.
              yay!!! :yay: wha'd ya get???
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                yay!!! :yay: wha'd ya get???
                I finally got a 231,No more full-time.I also added a extra in. off loft and 33MTR's.
                (p.s Hows the house thing going?)
                95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

What are you going to put back in?
                  What are you wheelin'?

Comment

Originally posted by scubatch
                    (p.s Hows the house thing going?)
                    not well. but anyday now...
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                    X