Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever broke a Super 35 Shaft??

I just got a super 35 kit, with a detroit locker, and was wondering if any one has ever broken a super 35 shaft, or any aftermarket 30 Spline Dana 35 Shaft Im debating wether or not I need to get spare shafts ASAP, or if its very unlikley I will break one... Im only running 32s, and will be only stepping up to 33s in the next few months.
    Lucas
    Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

This is like asking "Do I need a rollcage if I'm not going to roll it over?"... If you drive it like you stole it you can probably figure out a way to break anything. If you don't then you might not ever break an alloy shaft. One of the main weaknesses of the 35 is the tube thickness (or thinness?)... If the housing bends then it doesn't matter what kind of shafts you have, it will probably break the shaft. Do you have a truss?
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

No truss, I got a very good deal on this (400 with 4.88s), so its just going to hold me over till some day I get up to 35s, I learned to be easy on the 27 spline stock axles after breaking one, but after labor cost of the gear setup, and what not I dont have 300 bucks to throw down on spare shafts, and was just wondering if any one has broken one... I personally have not heard of any one breaking one, Just of the housing bending, I usually dont drive it like I stole it in the rocks, when I get out in the desert sand in 2 lo, thats another story. Even though Im mostly in to rock crawling, I just take it easy on the skinny pedal, after a year of wheeling And only one broken shaft, that was my fault, (Stuck Floored it caught traction at 4500 RPMS in Second Gear 4Hi OPPS)

Comment

I bet you could break them, I nearly busted an alloy 44 shaft. What happens if you do break one out in the middle of nowhere and don't have any spares??? :confused:

to make yourself feel better you may want to price out how much it costs to carry a full set of alloy spares and hubs for the front. $300 will seem cheap.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Skates,

I carry spares. I've ben running the S35 for over 2 years with my 35's and so far have had no trouble, but as I say, I do have 30 spline spares.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

most responsible wheelers have spares.
            personally, i am running an 8.8 with alloy shafts, and dana 30 with warn shafts. i have spares for everything.
            if for no other reason than to not ruin the trip for everyone else that i am wheeling with
            bear in mind that my 8.8 is about 40%+ stronger than your super 35
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by skates04
              I just got a super 35 kit, with a detroit locker, and was wondering if any one has ever broken a super 35 shaft, or any aftermarket 30 Spline Dana 35 Shaft Im debating wether or not I need to get spare shafts ASAP, or if its very unlikley I will break one... Im only running 32s, and will be only stepping up to 33s in the next few months.
              Lucas
              I run a Yukon super 35 with 35" tires and haven't broken one yet. I do a little rockcrawling but I am judicious with the loud pedal.

I agree with everyone carrying spares, that way if I do break a shaft I will have a good selection
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                I bet you could break them, I nearly busted an alloy 44 shaft. What happens if you do break one out in the middle of nowhere and don't have any spares??? :confused:

to make yourself feel better you may want to price out how much it costs to carry a full set of alloy spares and hubs for the front. $300 will seem cheap.
                Just curious how you "nearly" busted the shaft?
                1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Originally posted by GoinCommando
                  Just curious how you "nearly" busted the shaft?
                  he twisted the splines. it stayed in tact, but he found it durring maintainance, or other mod.
                  i'll bet it happened doing this
                  ERIK

Comment

actually I found it after I realized the flange was bent. so to me... twisted splines and bent flange means "nearly " busted.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Just to clarify my post wasnt on if I should get the shafts, just if I should go out and by some now or if it can wait a few weeks, And mainly my curiousity if any one had broken them, I have done alot of searches and have'nt found any one who's broken one before, Just the post on this thread with the twisted splines, and people who mess up tubes. But it sounds like they are very well built, and yes I will be getting spares.
                      I feel bad for that poor rear end in the video.. thats some abuse.

Comment

What is the axle bearing journal diameter (I.D. of the bearing inner race) on a D35 versus a D44? Could one find a set of junkyard 44 shafts off say, an old truck, and have the ends machined?
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                          actually I found it after I realized the flange was bent. so to me... twisted splines and bent flange means "nearly " busted.
                          Good enough.
                          1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                            What is the axle bearing journal diameter (I.D. of the bearing inner race) on a D35 versus a D44? Could one find a set of junkyard 44 shafts off say, an old truck, and have the ends machined?
                            by the time you do all of that, wouldnt the price be right back up there for the alloy shafts?
                            ERIK

Comment

Not sure if these are any good; basically two Alloy 30 Spline shafts for 359.00 Shipped
                              http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/p...dproduct=10065
                              Any one else point me to a good place to get some good Spare 30 Spline shafts?

Comment

Working...
                              X