Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add HP

hey, saw what you put about the gears and all that. what about adding Air intake like K&N, or exhaust.. does it help out with the hp enough to justify spending that kind of money?
    [COLOR=Blue]Perfection[/COLOR], [COLOR=SlateGray]The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by somainevent
    hey, saw what you put about the gears and all that. what about adding Air intake like K&N, or exhaust.. does it help out with the hp enough to justify spending that kind of money?
    No The incremental gains by such mods are going to be undetectable in the real world.

4 wheelin' is more about torque than HP. Most of the time your motor is gonna' be running at less than 2,000 rpm or maybe 1,000 :yay:

That said, I did install a Doug Thorley header (which is an excellent product btw) but only after the stock manifold cracked
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Oops, I didn't notice I was in 4 banger land

Just to reinforce the gear question.

What are the stock gears in a 4 banger? Lets say 4.10 if you put in a set of 4.88s you're gonna get a 20% improvement. It's gonna take a lot of engine mods to match that. Two extra cylinders might do it

Sorry, couldn't resist.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Drop in an electric fan and you'll se the most gains.
        Look for the ford taurus swap!
        4.0 throttle body and or a spacer.<----junk yards cheap
        And a K&N or a tube and cone filter in the universal ricey section at your local auto parts store!
        [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by BrockGrimes
          And a K&N or a tube and cone filter in the universal ricey section at your local auto parts store!
          why?
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Depending on the year, say if its an 04 or 05, the 2.4l in the SE is the same motor thats in the SRT-4 Neon (200+ HP 250ft-lbs torq). Youcould retro-fit the turbo from one to the Jeep, but you'd also have to change cams and ECU, PCM (I don't know, the computer that runs everything) to get the same performance.

But, if you did something like that, you will probably be the only one trying to climb rocks at around 3-4000 rpm to stay in the torq and power band...I wouldn't recommend it, lower gears like mentioned earlier will suffice.
            04 Rubicon
            4.5" RE Super Flex
            1" BL
            CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
            Currie Anti-rock swaybar
            35" el cheapos
            Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

The SRT-4 turbo is integral to the exhaust manifold. It would be very costly since you would need to buy the entire intake and exhaust manifold set to make it work. A less costly option would be to select a similar size/characteristic turbo of your choice, slap a thicker head gasket in it (or change pistons if you're ambitious), and tune with a piggy back ECU. Also, I believe the cylinder head is different on the SRT-4. You would at least need a different cam. The SRT-4 components are in very high demand because of all the ricers and people trying to convert their non-turbo Neons to the SRT-4 setup.

I say do like Tito did - move the engine mounts forward to make room for a Klune V and you'll still have a 24" driveshaft... You'll never run out of gear in low range anyway... Doesn't help much on the highway though.
              1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
              My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

im thinkin bout throwing away my 4 cylinder and dropping in a dodge V8... im sick of not being able to spin my tires... even in sand

Comment

Working...
                X