Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which RTV?

Not being very experienced I differ this questions to you all.

Which RTV is the "best" for using on diff covers? I normally just go with whatever the FSM recommends.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

I use Permatex products

Whatever you use make use you use a nonharding product. The harding type are hard to clean not to mention trying to pull the cover off.

Permatex Blue Rtv is a good all around silicon.

Here is a link to the website check out their other products as well.
    :2:
    http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh....&item_no=80023
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I find that cleaning the mating surfaces is very important. I get rid of all the old crap and finish off with brake cleaner.

For the diff covers I made a couple of alignment studs. I got a couple of long bolts with the unthreaded section. I cut the bolts so I had 1/2" of thread and 1" of shaft. Then I cut a screwdriver slot in the ends.

To install, lightly thread the studs into the upper holes. RTV the mating surface. Hang the cover from the studs, then when you have a screw ready slide the cover into place. Start all the screws (-2) then remove the studs and install real screws.

Chris L.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Hands down, the best RTV I have used for diff covers came with a master install kit from Sierra. Don't know who made it, but that stuff rocks!

I have used permatex (blue, black, and red), Loc-tite (clear and orange--both came in a b!tchin' aresol can), a couple other brands that I don't recall, and the Sierra stuff.

Now I steal the extra Sierra RTV when I do gear installs (You can seal about 6 diffs with one tube, one tube is included with each master install kit).
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Hey goodtimes, you should start a black market for the sierra rtv
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
          X