Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much load?

too much load?

do you think it is possible for a 4.0 jeep to put too much load on an 8.8 ring gear?
    this is a stock 4.0 with 4.88 gears.

i found a broken tooth on my 8.8 some time ago, and had the gears replaced. the gears in question were 4.88, and were on the jeep for about 2-3000 miles.

the manufacturers engineers decided the gears were set up properly, so that is not to blame.
    they have decided that there was too much load put on the ring gear.

at that time i had not run any hammers trails. the most difficult trail at that time was the rubicon

i am not going to mention the manufacturers name at this time, because i want to give them a bit of time to reconcider their current decision.

honestly, it makes no sence to me.
    the ring gear is not a weakness on the 8.8. there are people running these in their hot rods, and pushing 600+ hp out of them.

what are your thoughtS?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

If installation was not the problem then you could have just got a bad part, poor casting or something.
    That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
      If installation was not the problem then you could have just got a bad part, poor casting or something.
      that is what i thought..
      the final decision has been made by mr reider, [reider racing] and they are not going to warranty it.
      i am surprised, and disappointed by the decision.
      ERIK

Comment

5.3:1 Atlas maybe...? Was this before or after the Atlas? Maybe you're exceeding the torque output of a 600 hp dragster

Bummer on the warranty. What did it do when it failed? You said you "found a tooth broken"... Was it on the trail or during a routine oil change with no telltale signs without looking at it?
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

as much as I wish the atlas was 5.3:1 it's only 5.0:1.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by rick
            5.3:1 Atlas maybe...? Was this before or after the Atlas? Maybe you're exceeding the torque output of a 600 hp dragster

Bummer on the warranty. What did it do when it failed? You said you "found a tooth broken"... Was it on the trail or during a routine oil change with no telltale signs without looking at it?
            i found it while doing routine maintainance. i would have never known it was there otherwise.
            oh well.. water under the bridge.
            ERIK

Comment

I would think that for the $100 retail (or $40 their cost) they would have given you a new ring gear. The high praise you would have given them for standing behind their product would have been worth it. instead, they get a thumbs down from you (and me) and probably everyone you tell. Did they tell you just how you managed to put to much of a load on it, or is that just the best they could come up with. They couldn't blame the set-up because that could be easily checked. How much load you put on it is subjective, and that just bought them bad publicity 10 times over that $40 dollar part. Shame on them for not taking advantage of a golden opportunity. If I knew how, I would e-mail this thread to them.
              1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

The 8.8 should have held up better, sorry to hear they won't help. What company are you going to use for new stuff?
                That's a BIG rock!

Comment

I replaced the broken precision gear set with a superior set quite some time ago.
                  i will no longer recommend precision gears or reider racing products.
                  Last edited by NAILER341; 01-23-05, 09:57 AM.
                  ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                    as much as I wish the atlas was 5.3:1 it's only 5.0:1.
                    D'oh, well you know what I meant... I guess I was thinking of the 4.3...

Thanks
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                    X