Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D30 you jays

Yesterday, I broke the front axle U/J on my Dana 30, drivers side. Third time.

They are Ukon shafts with the biggest U/J that will fit, whatever # that is!

It's hard to tell of course but it seems to me that a C clip lets go, the cup backs out and it's all over.

So waddya' think about welding the caps in place? Min heat, just a couple of tacks :yay:

Chris L.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Some people do that. Its a cheap fix. If it were me, I would do one of two things. One: Get some warn shafts that are machined out for full snap rings. Or two: Machine out your stock shafts to fit full snap rings. Oh, and what you describe is exactly what happens . . . cap spins, spits out c-clip, cap pops out.

Fun!

Chris F.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

another vote for full circle clips. as far as the machining, I know nothing about that... you mean they won't just fit on any shafts??? didn't know that.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Full circle clips will not fit on any old shaft....they have to be machined as Dukes mentioned. As for welding the caps, I know several people that have done just that. From what I hear, they really should be TIG'ed, and there is a certain type of filler you are supposed to use. Of course, that is second hand info, so take it for what it is worth. Let me know how it works, I have a short side d44 shaft with a ear that is stretched out .002", and I need to either weld in the cap, or scrap the shaft.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

welding

My local rock crawler told me a trick to welding the caps.

What he does is a very *poor* welding job. He doesn't try to weld the cap and yoke together as such, instead he starts the weld on the yoke and moves towards the center of the cap. The goal is to leave a pigeon shit weld that will prevent the cap from backing out.

Having learnt that I had my buddy give it a shot (thanks Mike) and he achieved the desired effect with very little heat soaking into the U/J itself.

We'll see how long it lasts!

Chris L.

Comment

machining the shaft for the full circle clips is really no big deal. if you are any good with an angle grinder, you should be able to buzz it down in no time in your garage. just use some relatively fine flap disc. preferably one that is flat, and not the angled discs.
            the warn shafts are great if you have the money to dump into them. they are known to lose u joints without destroying the shafts
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Try a set of these. They hold up to the abuse of 37's very well.

It took a lot to break one, and they are gaurenteed for life. If you break one, Jack will replace it for free. When they break, there is a nice little fireworks show at the end of the axle
              ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Jeepers, you broke a CTM joint - that's good going!

When I checked ages ago they didn't come in 297, I see that they do now. :yay:

What shafts do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                  Jeepers, you broke a CTM joint - that's good going!

When I checked ages ago they didn't come in 297, I see that they do now. :yay:

What shafts do you use?
                  Yep, I broke one, and it was LOUD and sparks flew out when it happened. I had the front left tire in a deep drop wedged by a large rock. When I tried to climb out it went "BANG"

The shafts are superior if I remember correctly and the spare shafts are from Currie
                  ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                  00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                  97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Working...
                  X