Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearing ?s

ok so i ordered my 31s and they should be coming soon. i have a manual trans so my gears are the pitiful 3.07. how bad is this going to suck with 31s?? does anyone have any experience? and if i regear im pretty much set on 4.88, do it correct the first time right?! so how would that work? 4.88s and 31s?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

hmm wasnt thinking 4.88s dont work with a D35....right?

ahhhhhh this hobby cost sooo much!!!!!!!!!1
    B R E T T

Comment

Find an XJ D44. I sold one for $350, not a bad price. And if you want to do it right the first time, make sure you get ARB's!

Edit: 2000 RPM will be about 75 MPH w/ 3.07 gears and 31's
      with 4.88's 2000 RPM will be about 48 MPH with 31's
      Last edited by Dukes69; 09-02-04, 12:15 AM.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I had 4.11 and 31's and just the 4.11 gave me high RPMs. It could pull hills in 5th on the highway. I was running about 2800 - 3000 RPM with 4.11 and 33's.

Comment

I have 29" and 3.07 in my TJ with the 4.0L and it sucks. I am swapping axles as soon as I get the built (have all the parts just finding out not all the tools) and will be going with 4.56s but I plan to do 32" or 33" soon.

I have seen 4.88 (Superior and Yukon but not Dana) for Dana 30 and 35 but the teeth on the gears are going to be pretty week for those axles.
          Last edited by nagal; 09-02-04, 10:25 AM. Reason: Forgot To Say
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

i really want to get a d44, but i gotta wait till i start workin again. Luckily my commute to school takes about 5 min.
            B R E T T

Comment

i have a buddy runnin 3.07's and he has 33's he runs between 3rd and 4th gear on the highway but 3rd up hill so your 31's are gonna be to bad for a while
              I am the Tarzan!

Comment

When I first bought my CJ7 it had 3.07 gears with 33" 258engine. The Guy didn't know it had a T5 trans, he thought he only had a 4speed in it. One of the key things I talked the price down on. Most of my driving was done in 4th any hills was done in 3rd sometimes 2nd. when my trans went out 3rd gear was shot. (can imagen why) I installed 4.56 gears lots of power. But now that I'm running 35" The engine seems to be happier. at 60MPH.(my speed days alone passed).
                [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

How big of a tire do you want to end up with? Is your Jeep going to stay a daily driver or Just trail rig. Is Fuel mpg a factor?

Here is a link to Randy's ring and Pinion. You can plug in the numbers to see how fast your motor spins

http://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/calcrpm.html

My 2 cents
                  [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                  In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
                    How big of a tire do you want to end up with? Is your Jeep going to stay a daily driver or Just trail rig. Is Fuel mpg a factor?

Here is a link to Randy's ring and Pinion. You can plug in the numbers to see how fast your motor spins

http://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/calcrpm.html

My 2 cents
                    well i want to end up with 33s...but that might be a while....a long while, maybe a year or more. its mostly a DD with weekend trails...fuel mpg isnt that huge of a concern as my parents pay(i would try to tell them id save fuel but they have already spent money on me for other stuff.) my daily commute is like...less than 5 miles prob around 2.

my rpms came out to like 1500 at 60mph and its reccemended that it be between 2000-3000
                    B R E T T

Comment

Im running 31's with the dreadful 3.07's, Not bad for cruizing but if a strong head wind, extra people in the jeap or a hill, Its 4th gear, But for now gonna trade to 373 gears as this is also my dd, after the gear change gonna look at 32 or 33's
                      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                      4" rough country springs
                      Nth degree arms upper and lower
                      1" Currie MML/BL
                      Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                      33"BFG MT's
                      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

ok peoples. do you think i can do gears myself?? any special tools? and would i need a new carrier for both axles when going from 3.07 to 4.56??
                        something to check the backlash...?
                        B R E T T

Comment

I bought a "How-To" video from these people http://www.technicalvideos.com/vide...ferential.phtml It's a great video and shows you all the tools you'll need and how to check everything.I already had dial indicators and stuff.I've got a couple more tools to pick up and I'll tackle 4.10's and ARB install in my CJ.I plan to do more gear swaps inthe future so I don't mind spending the money on the tools.
                          "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

That didn't work try this one http://technicalvideos.com/videos/differential.phtml
                            "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

You'll need new carriers. I believe the break is 3.73's. I dont know what you'll need. I've never done gears.
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X