Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
    You had better check the front axle, ASAP.
    LG
    Yea I was afraid of that, better now I quess then out on the trail.

Comment

Looks like I spoke to soon. Wrapped things up today, went to put it in drive and I didn't have any power to the ground, it has a loud squealing noise but no clunking. Drive line spins even when I hold the brake pedal down. Any ideas what could be going on?

Comment

Could be a bad bearing on the gear side of the carrier - allowing the ring gear to be pushed away from the pinion. Either that or busted axle shaft (s). You'd have to pull the third member to see if you can move the carrier side-to-side in the housing by hand or even with a small pry bar. Any discernible side movement points at bad carrier bearings. Take a good look at your ring gear teeth. If it's slipping past the pinion gear you'll likely have gear damage.
        Try jacking up one tire off the ground & leave the other one down. With it in neutral, can you spin the tire in the air by hand? Be very careful not to get your hand under that tire because if your locker is locked and the shafts aren't broken, you can drive the Jeep off the jack stands with torque from the tire in the air. If you can spin it, it's likely a shaft issue. If a shaft is broken it can transmit enough torque to turn the opposite wheel without resistance but be difficult to overcome with the other wheel locked by contact with the ground.
        What's weird is that a Detroit stays locked until receiving more torque from the axle shafts than the driveshaft. Unless you snapped both shafts, I'd lean toward a carrier bearing or pinion bearing problem. Can you push and pull the pinion gear & feel movement? If you broke a pinion bearing it could give a similar symptom. In either bearing failure case, I'd give a hard look at the condition of the gear set.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
          Could be a bad bearing on the gear side of the carrier - allowing the ring gear to be pushed away from the pinion. Either that or busted axle shaft (s). You'd have to pull the third member to see if you can move the carrier side-to-side in the housing by hand or even with a small pry bar. Any discernible side movement points at bad carrier bearings. Take a good look at your ring gear teeth. If it's slipping past the pinion gear you'll likely have gear damage.
          Try jacking up one tire off the ground & leave the other one down. With it in neutral, can you spin the tire in the air by hand? Be very careful not to get your hand under that tire because if your locker is locked and the shafts aren't broken, you can drive the Jeep off the jack stands with torque from the tire in the air. If you can spin it, it's likely a shaft issue. If a shaft is broken it can transmit enough torque to turn the opposite wheel without resistance but be difficult to overcome with the other wheel locked by contact with the ground.
          What's weird is that a Detroit stays locked until receiving more torque from the axle shafts than the driveshaft. Unless you snapped both shafts, I'd lean toward a carrier bearing or pinion bearing problem. Can you push and pull the pinion gear & feel movement? If you broke a pinion bearing it could give a similar symptom. In either bearing failure case, I'd give a hard look at the condition of the gear set.
          Wow you're awesome thanks for the advise. Im out of town for the weekend but I will give it a try next week and post back with some results.
          Thanks again for hanging in there with me.

Comment

Ok with either tire jacked up off the ground with the other being on the ground (t-case engaged) Im able to spin tires in the forward direction, however I couldn't spin in the reverse direction... I'll go ahead and pull out carrier and start some more trouble shooting.
            Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 08-07-17, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Any news?
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                Any news?
                Yes, the Detroit carrier broke.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 09-20-17, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X