Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something snapped in rear

Ok I heard something snap in the rear of my Jeep and now I cant go anywhere in two wheel drive. Does this sound like a diff problem or a axle problem. Im running spidertrax 609 (dana 60 axle and 9 inch ring and pinion). any ideas?

Ive jacked the tire off the ground and Its not working out nor can I pull the axle out. Im not getting any clunking noise when i engage the front in to move the jeep around. Oh one more thing I might add is the im running with "Detroit Lockers". Is there a simple fix that maybe just a pin broke?
    Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 07-26-17, 02:49 PM.

Comment

What is not working? If you spin the driveshaft yoke, do you get any wheel movement on either side? If you lift both wheels off the ground and spin one wheel, does the other side spin in the same direction?
      My only experience with a Detroit breaking was the clutch assembly stripping. For lack of better description it sounded like a bang followed by a 200 horsepower fart. The mechanical result was that it would not unlock and drove like a spool.
      I do know that it's possible to strip the side gears that engage to the axle shaft. I bought one with twisted spines for cheap to replace my clutch assembly.
      The downside of Detroits is that Eaton is notorious for not being helpful in troubleshooting and locating part suppliers is like finding a unicorn. There is a drivetrain/gear shop in San Diego that has parts for some models and another guy in Washington. I believe Summit also has some parts available.
      Knowing what you were doing when it broke could help -or not... Detroits do not like to be loaded and then suddenly unloaded and really don't like wheel hop. Mine broke on a 30 spline Dana 44 taking off from a red light. I didn't dump the clutch but I had the hammer down as soon as the clutch was out. I guess it just wasn't locked when I gave it the gas.
      You'll probably have to get dirty to figure this one out. Best of luck!
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks for the reply, ok this is what happening. If I jack the two rear wheels off the ground I can spin one tire and the other tire moves with it (same direction). I can start it up and put it in gear and both tires will spin, however when I lower it and both tires are on the ground it doesn't move but the drive shaft spins and there is no clunking noises.
        I've wheeled hard with this rig and never had a problem so this sounds a bit crazy all i was doing is backing it up in my paved driveway and when I was steering I was getting drive line bind and heard the snap.
        Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 07-30-17, 01:01 PM. Reason: miss spelled

Comment

Everything look good with the yoke? I'm just spitballing here because you said the driveshaft spins but won't move the jeep. Gear oil is cheap enough, I'd just open her up and take a look.

Comment

Sounds like a stripped pinion gear...
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
              Sounds like a stripped pinion gear...

Ok I have a dumb question. Can remove the pinion by just droping the drive line and pulling it out by taking out "just" the pinion carrier, or do I need to remove the whole 3rd member?

Comment

Not a dumb question. The way they're built, you have to remove the pinion yoke, pull the shafts, pull the carrier out (remember to mark how the caps were on), and the pinion will slide out .
                Save yourself some stress & just pop the cover. You'll be able to see the end of the pinion gear. You'll see right away if the teeth are full length and clean or shaved off, jagged and nasty looking. There would also be chunks of teeth in the bottom of the housing with lots of small slivers just waiting to poke into unsuspecting fingers.
                What gear ratio are you running? The higher the ratio, the smaller the pinion gear will be and cause a much higher stress load on the pinion gear.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Not a dumb question. The way they're built, you have to remove the pinion yoke, pull the shafts, pull the carrier out (remember to mark how the caps were on), and the pinion will slide out .
                  Save yourself some stress & just pop the cover. You'll be able to see the end of the pinion gear. You'll see right away if the teeth are full length and clean or shaved off, jagged and nasty looking. There would also be chunks of teeth in the bottom of the housing with lots of small slivers just waiting to poke into unsuspecting fingers.
                  What gear ratio are you running? The higher the ratio, the smaller the pinion gear will be and cause a much higher stress load on the pinion gear.
                  Thanks for the feedback!
                  The problem Im seeing is I have no cover, its a SpiderTrax housing with a third member carrier being a Eaton 9" Detroit. So Im wondering if I can just pull the yoke out for the drive shaft and loosen the bolt on the pinion.
                  Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 07-30-17, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Ahh, then yes, just pull the bolts on the pinion carrier & it'll pop right out.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Ahh, then yes, just pull the bolts on the pinion carrier & it'll pop right out.
                      Do you know if I need to take off the bolt holding the pinion yoke carrier for the drive line, its the bolt that's on the back of the pinion gear?
                      again thanks for your feedback!
                      Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 07-30-17, 01:00 PM.

Comment

You should only have to pull the driveshaft out of the yoke. Then the carrier should have 5 or so bolts into the differential housing. It should all slide out as one assembly. If you're referring to the nut in the center of the yoke, it doesn't have to come off to pull the unit. If your gear is stripped , it will have to come off to pull it all apart.
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

You should only have to pull the driveshaft out of the yoke. Then the carrier should have 5 or so bolts into the differential housing. It should all slide out as one assembly. If you're referring to the nut in the center of the yoke, it doesn't have to come off to pull the unit. If your gear is stripped , it will have to come off to pull it all apart.
                          6spdYJ thank you so much for hanging in there with me! Problem solved!! who ever built the rear end must not of put locktite on the carriage bolts that hold the ring gear, they had all backed out allowing the pinion gear to not make full contact. Im a happy camper and saved tons of $$

Comment

It's what Jeep people do, especially on MJR!
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

You had better check the front axle, ASAP.
                              LG
                              Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Working...
                              X