Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That really looks nice... what size tires are you running with the d44's? Does Rwkhaus sell the Rock Jocks? I saw where he posted on craigslist for the G2 Axle and Gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
      That really looks nice... what size tires are you running with the d44's? Does Rwkhaus sell the Rock Jocks? I saw where he posted on craigslist for the G2 Axle and Gear.
      yes he sells currie products. I'm running 35" MTRk's which run true to there size. I would absolutely love this front end if I had more stout C's but it's liveable. Unless you plan to build a junkyard do-it-yourself and customize your steering, this option is about as good as it goes for a pay the price, throw it on build.
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Nice pictures! if you don't mind me asking, how much should I expect to pay? My self I think I'll be running 37 on d44s.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
          Nice pictures! if you don't mind me asking, how much should I expect to pay? My self I think I'll be running 37 on d44s.
          a little over 3k including 4130 chromo inner axles, ujoints, balljoints, ARB, gears and labor, diff cover (stock) with gasket, and the tj bracket kit installed from currie. You will have to get a currie track bar or maybe a jks because it wont clear the diff, if you have a currie steering set you'll have to get blaines weld on sway bar brackets. I had to bend out my drag link (Thanks Blaine) to clear the tj steering stab bracket and you'll have to shorten your front driveshaft. Also you'll have to shave down the left upper control arm mount on the housing otherwise you'll have clearance issues. At least I did with Currie upper arms. Other than that its a cake-walk to install. I recommend the ruffstuff diff cover to. For 115.00 bucks its STOUT as hell.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the info. it's really been helpful. I'm sure I'll have some last minute post for the install. :thumbs_up

Comment

Thing with a D44 is, that other than better gearing choices it's no real step up over a HP D30

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Thing with a D44 is, that other than better gearing choices it's no real step up over a HP D30
                maybe a rubi 44 but I think the late 70's ford 44 is an improvement over a yj or xj 30. True it isn't a 60 and I did consider that but unless I wanna run 37's minimum and all new steering (to me) it wasnt worth it. If money wasn't the issue I'd do rock jock 60's front and rear. Im saving for my rear as I type and maybe MAYBE someday I'll step up to big boy status but not yet.

Comment

Thicker axle tubes are nice but all D44 use the same axle U joints as the D30. Same goes for JKD44's they seem to do ok with 37's.
                  Your milage may vary, now A hp d44 with D60 outers and axle shafts then you start to get somewhere

Comment

Your first post you talked about going to 40" tires. You can run 37" tires on hp30 and hp 44 axles but if you ever want to go bigger you are maxed out. So if you change your mine on tire size to go bigger you are screw and will spend twice the money.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      Thicker axle tubes are nice but all D44 use the same axle U joints as the D30. Same goes for JKD44's they seem to do ok with 37's.
                      Your milage may vary, now A hp d44 with D60 outers and axle shafts then you start to get somewhere
                      Early 44's used 260's - same as 30's up to '95. Later 30's and 44's used 597's. The 597's are a straight swap for 760's.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

I run the 760's and am considering moving up to ctm's. The weak leak then would be my warn hubs which I think I would rather blow a joint than a hub. 30.00 vs 80.00. Could get hub fuses as an option as well. You can waste ANYTHING depending on your foot and I'm more of a tap-tap stall, restart, tap tap a little harder kind of guy. Not a masher. I wasted my tj 30 but that took about 10 yrs to do. Bent the housing to the point that my ARB's preload was 0, couldnt get a good alignment anymore and wasted maybe 2 axle joints over the yrs. Pretty sure I will be happy w/this set up for some time. I do understand the 60, spidertrax, hi9, rockjock II talk but how big is big enough? Im no AW12345 as much as I wish I could be. UPS just pays to well. Delta keeps me at the kiddie table while the adults are playing.

Comment

I am a pooh boy lol, built this crap myself cuz I am broke all the time. Cannot afford fancy Currie axles. Give ya one thing though UPS pays reasonably well and the vaction time is the best

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                            Your first post you talked about going to 40" tires. You can run 37" tires on hp30 and hp 44 axles but if you ever want to go bigger you are maxed out. So if you change your mine on tire size to go bigger you are screw and will spend twice the money.
                            Someday in the future I would like to be able to run 40's, but the price difference from a new d44 and a d60 is about $2000. Paying $3000 for a d44 is a stretch, but paying $5000 for a d60 is a real stretch and would require me to do some waiting before I could do anything, and when that happens I usually end-up staying with what I got and I don't want to do that.

Comment

Then I would say your best bet would be a HP 9" and use your outers. Then when you go to bigger tires all you need to do is change the outers to 60's or f450.

You should be able to do the 9" at same price as the 44.
                              Last edited by curtis; 01-02-14, 07:32 AM.
                              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                                I have heard that you shouldn't run 37's with a d30. I have chromo shafts, but I'd worry about the axle joints snaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X