Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front diff swap D30 to ?

I'm driving a 98 tj with the d30 front and currently running 35's. I plan on up grading tires and front diff. I was wondering about the Hi9's, if this would be a good option for strength and possibility of running 40's.... or should I go with a d60 or the G2 Axle. I don't weld so a bolt right in would be best for me.

Don't think you could go wrong with any of those options. Spidertrax makes some nice 9's that I've seen in action. If I could I would have Rockjocks under my Jeep.
    Check out .

Comment

GO 9"HP in the front and RJ in the rear.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

So many options. Right now Im just focusing on my front since I have a 35 spline d44 in rear, but some day I will be upgrading the rear too.

Comment

One thing you haven't thought of most likely is bolt pattern for your wheels. Most all the bigger axles take a different bolt pattern than 5 on 4,5. You can conver the rears to 5 on 5,5 and have them built the front axle to that pattern. So new wheels are in order too

Comment

I can see why the dollar amount really starts to climb. If I up grade wheels might as well go bead locks.

Comment

37's and beyond gets pricey in a hurry. You go there when you cannot go further than you want with 35's

Comment

I'd love to run 37's but with the d30 I think Im stuck with the 35's. Although I've heard of some people having 37's on the d30.

Comment

Stay with 35's till it limits you on the trails you want to run or you keep granating stuff

Comment

With a 35 spline 44 - depending on your axle shaft material and if your housing is trussed, You should have enough strength to run 37's on the back as long as you behave yourself. If you need to, do it in phases. Get the front axle of your choice and then use adapter/spacers on the rear to match the front. If you keep the adapters less than 1 1/2" thick you should have no problems. This way you can get the front you want, then the wheel/tire combo and slap it together and run it. The inverse would be to adapt the new front down to match the existing rear until you get the wheels and tires you want. It would be a bit weird to adapt down, but people have done it for their own reasons. I did it to run Moabs on a Scout 44. Sell whats good of the old stuff and start saving for a beefier rear axle. Unless you build it yourself it won't be cheap but it doesn't have to kill your finances all at once.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                      So many options. Right now Im just focusing on my front since I have a 35 spline d44 in rear, but some day I will be upgrading the rear too.
                      In that case I agree with Curtis.

From Curries website.
                      With the right gear ratio the 9" can handle up to 400 hp and tire up to 37" tall. The stock front end is only capable of 200hp and 33" tires.
                      Check out .

Comment

I can see that there's lots of options and a lot more to it then I know. Im gunna take small steps and do it phases.... my first step is replacing the d30 and put something in there that will allow me to run 37's. I've notice that buying a d44 is like $2,000 cheaper. Hmm, maybe with the right set-up a d44 will allow 37's...... like the d44 on the rear, or is that wasting my money?

Comment

I only see it as wasting money if you are planning on going to 40's in the future.
                          Check out .

Comment

Anyone know if there's a d44 version out there that will just bolt in my rig? Trying to save some bucks now after looking at all the options there is to do. Think I heard the d44 in a wagoner would work but I don't know what years.

Comment

currie puts out a nice front 44. I did that route myself last yr. 4130 chromo's 3" tubes, high pinion 79 Ford center section. Only thing that sucks is the stock tj C's. Otherwise the stock tj bracketry is all there and it's bolt on! Find Rwkhaus on here and he'll quote you a good price. About 1/2 of a rockjock. B U T if you want to do it VERY NICE ONCE, I'd do a rockjock 60 front and rear. Then again thats about 10+ grand.
                              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                              X