Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:thumbs_up
    Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
    Thanks, But, except for Brett, nobody really answered my question. It's been more suggestions, on what else I can do. If I was to swap axles, I'd spend the cash, get 60's, and be done with it.

U-joints are a non-issue. I have RCV's. I will not be racing, anytime soon, so, I wont be putting that kind of stress on my axles.

So, I guess I'll rephrase. Has anyone experienced problems with R&P failure, with 37's and 5:13's, on a TJ D44?
    <crickets>

Sounds like you're good to go! :thumbs_up
    holes = cowbell

Comment

They have done so with 4.88's kinda depends on how hard you are on things. The front diff will probably live longer than the rear, yet Kurt has done a fair amount of fun wheeling with 37's and 4.88 gears. Other guy I know broke 4.88's in the rear the first time he spun the tires good trying to get up a steep climb. In the end, I would simply try it, knowing that thing are going to break somewhere along the line.
      It kinda goes like this, bigger tires means bigger obstacles and so forth. There are two routes to take, when you feel you want to do bigger better things. Do it incrementally and spend money along the way upgrading and changing things along the way or do the whole thing at once and be done with it. Bigger outlay in the beginning but cheaper and a lot less frustrating in the long run.
      Like David says the Jana kit is an option bigger ring and pinion, more work to setup run it with 35 spline shafts and you can see where that goes. There are many different choices, hard to say what works for you. It all depends where you want to go from here to what you want to try and tackle in the next few years trail wise. It saves money to look at what you want to do in a few years from now

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        jk 44 has bigger ring and pinion and larger u joints in the axle shafts, so that part is covered, on those sleeving the axle tubes and gusseting the inner c's lets you run 37's pretty reliably
        On the topic of JK D44 front axles and the larger U-joints, there was a twist for me.

After my axle was built and it came time to get shafts, we found that Superior didn’t make the Evolution series to use the larger JK u-joint. It uses the same 760 u-joint as does the TJ D30 and D44. Per the Superior rep, there was no loss of strength with the 760 u-joint, and the larger “ears” of the JK shaft made it stronger (most U-joint failures start with distorition in the ears).

I don’t know if this was the result of real reasearch, or they simply didn’t want to invest in the machining for the different (unique) u-joint size of the JK D44. At that time (about 2 years ago), I checked the other sources of alloy shafts (Alloy USA, Yukon, etc.) – no one had an alloy JK shaft with the larger u-joint. The only exception was Superior’s Discovery line, which was an exact OEM match (buth wasn’t made from the higher strenght alloy of the Evolution line).

FWIW – I’ve had no problems. I do have the Superior “Super Strength” alloy u-joints ” (I think that’s what they were called). Once the tubes are sleeved and the C’s gussetted, the front HP JK D44 holds up to 37’s very well. Kind of a mid ground between a traditional D44 and a D60.

Comment

Good stuff to know Cliff, thanks for posting

Comment

I run the Waggy d44 with 5:38s and one ton steering with 37"...so I can't give you a direct answer to question but I have had no problems with this setup.
            No with that said please keep in mind that tire weight can play I big roll in how well your axle may or may not wold up for you. A lighter tire may help your 44 live longer..
            At least that how I see it...lol
            WOKNROX!
            Let's go wheelin!

Comment

Working...
            X